OMCES Idiosyncrasies

OMCES Idiosyncrasies

Postby concepts » Wed May 16, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm working my way through OMCES, and DD sure seems fixated on a few things, such as how solar orientation is not a climactic condition, how topographic concerns are distinct from geologic, or how energy efficiency is distinct from resource conservation. I think he's technically correct, but it just occurred to me to worry that this could actually trip me up on the actual exam. CAB questions might not be written with such distinctions in mind. Not a big deal, have to read carefully anyway, and realize the test will be quite different from OMCES, just wondering if others had any thoughts regarding.
concepts

Re: OMCES Idiosyncrasies

Postby concepts » Sat May 19, 2018 12:39 am

Having just taken and passed the exam, I'm going to respond to my own question. OMCES turned out to be quite helpful, and while the CSE didn't seem to share any of DD's fixations, OMCES was great for training me to look for pitfalls like choosing a local agency when the question asks for state-level authorities. Basically, it was solid practice at reading questions and choices carefully.
concepts

Postby mrsxag » Sat May 19, 2018 5:53 pm

concepts wrote:Having just taken and passed the exam, I'm going to respond to my own question. OMCES turned out to be quite helpful, and while the CSE didn't seem to share any of DD's fixations, OMCES was great for training me to look for pitfalls like choosing a local agency when the question asks for state-level authorities. Basically, it was solid practice at reading questions and choices carefully.

Oh thank you for that insight!
mrsxag

Postby concepts » Sat May 19, 2018 10:22 pm

mrsxag wrote:Oh thank you for that insight!

Awesome, glad my muttering to myself online helped someone.

I'll add that I was kind of thinking the OMCES was becoming a waste of time while I was slogging my way through it. Many of the questions were so similar and repetitive, really basic. But, in hindsight, it was also helpful insofar as it provided endurance training. It can be kind of rough to sit for a couple hours, reading questions and choosing the least awful answers.
concepts

Postby sponger232 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:37 pm

I have been taking the OMCES for the past couple weeks and have been thinking the same thing. Questions seem so repetitive and basic it felt like I'm wasting my time these precious few days before the exam, but I'm glad to hear I haven't been! Thanks for the insight
sponger232

Postby stephanier2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:11 pm

concepts wrote:Having just taken and passed the exam, I'm going to respond to my own question. OMCES turned out to be quite helpful, and while the CSE didn't seem to share any of DD's fixations, OMCES was great for training me to look for pitfalls like choosing a local agency when the question asks for state-level authorities. Basically, it was solid practice at reading questions and choices carefully.

Yes definitely agree with this! Trains you to pay attention to details, phases, agencies, etc. These were the only practice tests I used, and passed last Friday first try. Good luck!
stephanier2

Postby T-Square » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:03 am

Did you find the OMCES to be laggy or respond slowly? This was the only problem that I really had with it so far.
T-Square

Postby cyork1981 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:03 pm

I have to ask what exactly is the OMCES?
cyork1981

Postby Raja » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:32 am

cyork1981 wrote:I have to ask what exactly is the OMCES?

I have this question too. What is OMCES?
Raja

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:20 pm

cyork1981 wrote:I have to ask what exactly is the OMCES?

AREprep's mock exam.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Raja » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks Coach. I can't find it on their website and the sites I found that seem like it might be it look to be corrupt or spammy. Sent them an email.

*update-- emailed them and they sent me a link to the correct site. Here it is, if anyone else is looking for it.

https://californiasupplementalexam.com/
Raja

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM