First attempt Site Design

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

First attempt Site Design

Postby jylee » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Here is my first attempt for the site design. Any comments for improvements greatly appreciated! I didn't really time myself this time as I was trying to get used to the drawing tools...especially the driveways.
SPD_Site Design x1.png


How accurate does the 8000 SF for the plaza have to be? Is it best to be over or under the 8000 SF?
Also, I'm not sure how to address the program for the summer noonday sun at 45 deg solar altitude?
Should I be adding some deciduous trees on the south side of the plaza or restaurant??

I also attempted a second try of the grading...please comment as well for improvements. Tried to do this quickly as possible to leave myself more time for the site design...
SPD_Grading x2.png


Thank you in advance!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jylee
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: First attempt Site Design

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:44 am

jylee wrote:Here is my first attempt for the site design. Any comments for improvements greatly appreciated! I didn't really time myself this time as I was trying to get used to the drawing tools...especially the driveways.


How accurate does the 8000 SF for the plaza have to be? Is it best to be over or under the 8000 SF? It can be any shape. Getting within about 5 s.f. is very easy.
Also, I'm not sure how to address the program for the summer noonday sun at 45 deg solar altitude? At (solar) noon, the sun is due south and 45 degrees above the horizon.
Should I be adding some deciduous trees on the south side of the plaza or restaurant?? Why would you do that?

I also attempted a second try of the grading...please comment as well for improvements. Tried to do this quickly as possible to leave myself more time for the site design...


Thank you in advance!! :D

SD -
Too much of the PP is shaded by the OT.
New coniferous trees partially block the view of the pond from the restaurant.
New coniferous trees downwind or upwind of the restaurant serve no purpose.
A walk running along the edge of the PP is redundant.
Building separation is inadequate.

SG -
Bring the "points" of 108 closer to each other on the east side of the display. Doing that will require you to adjust the other contour lines as well to maintain the minimum slope.
Sparky83
 
Posts: 7539
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: First attempt Site Design

Postby jylee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
jylee wrote:Here is my first attempt for the site design. Any comments for improvements greatly appreciated! I didn't really time myself this time as I was trying to get used to the drawing tools...especially the driveways.


How accurate does the 8000 SF for the plaza have to be? Is it best to be over or under the 8000 SF? It can be any shape. Getting within about 5 s.f. is very easy. OK.
Also, I'm not sure how to address the program for the summer noonday sun at 45 deg solar altitude? At (solar) noon, the sun is due south and 45 degrees above the horizon. I understand, but is there something i particularly need to address or check with sketchlines?
Should I be adding some deciduous trees on the south side of the plaza or restaurant?? Why would you do that? For sun shading..?

I also attempted a second try of the grading...please comment as well for improvements. Tried to do this quickly as possible to leave myself more time for the site design...


Thank you in advance!! :D

SD -
Too much of the PP is shaded by the OT. So this is in regards to the sun @ 45 deg program?
New coniferous trees partially block the view of the pond from the restaurant.
New coniferous trees downwind or upwind of the restaurant serve no purpose.
A walk running along the edge of the PP is redundant.
Building separation is inadequate. My circle inbetween the two buildings is a rad. 105'-6"...
Here is a quick markup of the tree placements based on your comments so I understand..is this correct?
SPD_Site Design x1_mkup.png


SG -
Bring the "points" of 108 closer to each other on the east side of the display. Doing that will require you to adjust the other contour lines as well to maintain the minimum slope. Is there a minimum/max distance for the "points" of the swale?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jylee
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: First attempt Site Design

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:14 pm

jylee wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:
jylee wrote:Here is my first attempt for the site design. Any comments for improvements greatly appreciated! I didn't really time myself this time as I was trying to get used to the drawing tools...especially the driveways.


How accurate does the 8000 SF for the plaza have to be? Is it best to be over or under the 8000 SF? It can be any shape. Getting within about 5 s.f. is very easy. OK.
Also, I'm not sure how to address the program for the summer noonday sun at 45 deg solar altitude? At (solar) noon, the sun is due south and 45 degrees above the horizon. I understand, but is there something i particularly need to address or check with sketchlines? YES. The height of the building is the length of the shadow.
Should I be adding some deciduous trees on the south side of the plaza or restaurant?? Why would you do that? For sun shading..? Again, why would you do that?

I also attempted a second try of the grading...please comment as well for improvements. Tried to do this quickly as possible to leave myself more time for the site design...


Thank you in advance!! :D

SD -
Too much of the PP is shaded by the OT. So this is in regards to the sun @ 45 deg program? YES
New coniferous trees partially block the view of the pond from the restaurant.
New coniferous trees downwind or upwind of the restaurant serve no purpose.
A walk running along the edge of the PP is redundant.
Building separation is inadequate. My circle inbetween the two buildings is a rad. 105'-6"... ..but it will not fit between the buildings.
Here is a quick markup of the tree placements based on your comments so I understand..is this correct?
Deciduous trees do not provide WINTER wind protection.

SG -
Bring the "points" of 108 closer to each other on the east side of the display. Doing that will require you to adjust the other contour lines as well to maintain the minimum slope. Is there a minimum/max distance for the "points" of the swale? The closer the better...but cannot touch each other.
Sparky83
 
Posts: 7539
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: First attempt Site Design

Postby jylee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
jylee wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:
jylee wrote:Here is my first attempt for the site design. Any comments for improvements greatly appreciated! I didn't really time myself this time as I was trying to get used to the drawing tools...especially the driveways.


How accurate does the 8000 SF for the plaza have to be? Is it best to be over or under the 8000 SF? It can be any shape. Getting within about 5 s.f. is very easy. OK.
Also, I'm not sure how to address the program for the summer noonday sun at 45 deg solar altitude? At (solar) noon, the sun is due south and 45 degrees above the horizon. I understand, but is there something i particularly need to address or check with sketchlines? YES. The height of the building is the length of the shadow.
Should I be adding some deciduous trees on the south side of the plaza or restaurant?? Why would you do that? For sun shading..? Again, why would you do that?

I also attempted a second try of the grading...please comment as well for improvements. Tried to do this quickly as possible to leave myself more time for the site design...


Thank you in advance!! :D

SD -
Too much of the PP is shaded by the OT. So this is in regards to the sun @ 45 deg program? YES
New coniferous trees partially block the view of the pond from the restaurant.
New coniferous trees downwind or upwind of the restaurant serve no purpose.
A walk running along the edge of the PP is redundant.
Building separation is inadequate. My circle inbetween the two buildings is a rad. 105'-6"... ..but it will not fit between the buildings.
Here is a quick markup of the tree placements based on your comments so I understand..is this correct?
Deciduous trees do not provide WINTER wind protection.

SG -
Bring the "points" of 108 closer to each other on the east side of the display. Doing that will require you to adjust the other contour lines as well to maintain the minimum slope. Is there a minimum/max distance for the "points" of the swale? The closer the better...but cannot touch each other.



Ok. Thank you for the comments. I will attempt the SD vignette again later today and re-post... :mrgreen: Appreciate the tips.
jylee
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: First attempt Site Design

Postby jylee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Okay...so here is an updated attempt at the Site Design and Site Grading..Hopefully I got it better than the last.


2018-04-17_17-19-05.jpg


2018-04-17_16-51-47.jpg



Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jylee
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: First attempt Site Design

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:44 pm

SG -
Appears to work.

SD -
See the tree diagrams in the program. Coniferous trees cannot overlap paving. You cannot walk or drive under them.
Coniferous trees partially block the view of the pond from the restaurant.
Service drive violates the 5' building setback.
The PP does not have to be offset from the OT.
Sparky83
 
Posts: 7539
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: First attempt Site Design

Postby jylee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:53 pm

I do hope 3rd time's the charm...Thank you Sparky for the comments..I'm definitely learning what I can and can't do on this vignette. Appreciate the feedback. :D

SPD_Site Design x3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jylee
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: First attempt Site Design

Postby jylee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:23 pm

I've attempted 2 Alts for practice purposes...I know the walkway shouldn't cross the driveway, but I was finding it difficult to avoid it without excessive paving and killing off too many trees..In this solution, it was 15 max, which I hit exactly.
SPD_Alt 1.png


SPD_Alt 2.png


Testing tomorrow and hopefully I haven't done any fatal mistakes. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jylee
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm


Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LuxArchDesign and 0 guests