NCARB final review and transmittal timeline?

NCARB final review and transmittal timeline?

Postby GTR » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:41 pm

After finishing the ARE and IDP, I received an automatic email from NCARB says: 'We’ll be formally reviewing your NCARB Record and sending it to the Massachusetts registration board. We will let you know when this has been completed....'

Anyone know how long does it normally take for NCARB to review?
Anyone has experience with MA jurisdiction?

Thanks
GTR

Re: NCARB final review and transmittal timeline?

Postby japorms_tys » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:46 pm

I got my last pass letter the beginning of November and they just now sent my info to my state board. For others who might be interested, here is the process.

1. You call them and ask for a transmittal.
2. They tell you it will be 30 days to review your record (for what, I have no idea), this is a lie.
3. You call to follow up every week, making sure they don't have a chance to forget you, they tell you it will certainly be less than the 30 days, this is a lie.
4. You call again after the 30 days has passed and ask when your record will be transmitted. They tell you by the end of the week, this is a lie.
5. You call back again the next week and they finally get sick of you and decide to review your record.
6. You get an email stating that you passed the ARE and fulfilled IDP (something you knew 40 days previous), and that at some mysterious date in the future your record will actually be sent to your state board.
7. 3-5 business days later you get another email stating that they grew tired of sitting on your record and decided to send your record to the state.

Merry Christmas.
japorms_tys

Postby sbyrktct » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:29 am

^ This.

Coach... can we get a "Like" button?
sbyrktct

Postby archspri » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:07 am

My experience was this.

October 23 - Took Final Exam
October 30 - Received Score and Email from NCARB saying "Congrats You Completed the ARE"
November 24 - Received email from NCARB "A certified copy of your Council Record, indicating completion of the NCARB education, training and examination standards, will be transmitted to the (Louisiana) architectural board as the final step toward licensure." and a Cover Letter Transmittal from NCARB (which they basically CC'ed me on the email the sent directly to my licensing boards).
November 26 - Received Snail Mail from my state license board asking to verify my name, address, and other information, and to send them the License registration fee.
December 4 - License issued.
archspri

Postby keith_stache » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:50 am

A co-worker and I finished the ARE at the same time. He had finished IDP a year ago. I finished IDP days before I got my last ARE pass (I did a bunch of EPC activities to get those last pesky hours).

We both got the NCARB notification that we had finished the ARE and the record would be transmitted. It was transmitted, immediately, for both of us. Since the state already had his IDP record from a year ago, they processed all of his paperwork immediately and he had his stamp in under a week.

I am still waiting for them to review and transmit my IDP record, going on three weeks. After 10 years - Undergrad, Masters, IDP, ARE (plus 5 signed forms, stamped by licensed architects, verifying that you are qualified to be an architect - state of WI).... I guess I can wait another week. But I am not going to be happy about it.
keith_stache

Postby blacksmith » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 am

keith_stache wrote:A co-worker and I finished the ARE at the same time. He had finished IDP a year ago. I finished IDP days before I got my last ARE pass (I did a bunch of EPC activities to get those last pesky hours).

We both got the NCARB notification that we had finished the ARE and the record would be transmitted. It was transmitted, immediately, for both of us. Since the state already had his IDP record from a year ago, they processed all of his paperwork immediately and he had his stamp in under a week.

I am still waiting for them to review and transmit my IDP record, going on three weeks. After 10 years - Undergrad, Masters, IDP, ARE (plus 5 signed forms, stamped by licensed architects, verifying that you are qualified to be an architect - state of WI).... I guess I can wait another week. But I am not going to be happy about it.

This is precisely why I have been telling others in the process to transmit your IDP, if completed, prior to completing your AREs. Makes life super easy. I received my last pass and 2 weeks later I had my license number and cert.

-j.w.smith
blacksmith

Postby bmt322 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:29 pm

blacksmith wrote:
This is precisely why I have been telling others in the process to transmit your IDP, if completed, prior to completing your AREs. Makes life super easy. I received my last pass and 2 weeks later I had my license number and cert.

-j.w.smith

What do you mean by 'transmit your IDP'? Checking the ncarb website and my state board website (Texas), I don't see any information about transmitting an IDP record. I submitted my final IDP hours and received the IDP completion auto-email from NCARB on December 5th. Do I need to do anything else to get this info to the state?

edit - I am waiting on my final ARE result
bmt322

Postby IWarch » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:50 am

I completed my IDP in October 2013. I got my final pass notification last Thursday (Christmas Day), and received my license number from the state (New York) this past Tuesday (December 30th). It took just 6 days, which included Christmas weekend, to get my license number :) I am in total disbelief at how quick the process was. It was definitely beneficial for me that I had everything else already lined up- IDP and Experience Requirements (NYS has a 3-year experience requirement, no matter how long IDP takes).

I still have not gotten my official certificate in the mail yet- I was in contact with the State and they said 10-15 business days, so I guess technically I am still waiting on something...
IWarch

Postby blacksmith » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:20 pm

bmt322 wrote:
blacksmith wrote:

-j.w.smith

What do you mean by 'transmit your IDP'? Checking the ncarb website and my state board website (Texas), I don't see any information about transmitting an IDP record. I submitted my final IDP hours and received the IDP completion auto-email from NCARB on December 5th. Do I need to do anything else to get this info to the state?

edit - I am waiting on my final ARE result

Your Record goes through a final evaluation, well at least mine did. I received an email from the person evaluating my record. Not an automated one. This was however prior to me completing AREs and because I pestered them until they did what I asked (1-18-12). NYS received my completed IDP (and required education) leaving the outstanding AREs (subsequently completed 2-15-14). I'm not sure how your Record screen looks but you should be able to transmit your completed IDP to the state of your choosing. If you are awaiting your final exam score and have not transmitted your completed IDP, then you will have the lengthier process of doing everything at once. Same outcome.
blacksmith

Postby Design intent » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:22 pm

I don't see a screen for transmitting my record to the state. Where is that? Under which tab?
Design intent

Postby blacksmith » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Design intent wrote:I don't see a screen for transmitting my record to the state. Where is that? Under which tab?

Im pretty sure it's in overview after you login on right.

See page 8- http://www.ncarb.org/en/Experience-Through-Internships/~/media/Files/PDF/Guidelines/IDP_Guidelines.pdf
blacksmith

Postby archabati » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:21 am

Has anyone experienced and extreme time lag with NCARB due to the holidays? I passed my last exam on November 23rd. I have been consistent in calling NCARB and they keep giving me the 30 day timeline. Well, I think it is sufficient to say that timeline has come and gone. During my latest correspondence with NCARB I received a different response. My file is in a queue for final review and once it is assigned to someone it will then take an additional 30-45 days before it is transmitted to the IL registration boards. Yikes! That is a long time to wait! I thought I would have my license by the end of January....now It's looking more like March. Advice?
archabati

Postby blacksmith » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:46 am

archabati wrote:Has anyone experienced and extreme time lag with NCARB due to the holidays? I passed my last exam on November 23rd. I have been consistent in calling NCARB and they keep giving me the 30 day timeline. Well, I think it is sufficient to say that timeline has come and gone. During my latest correspondence with NCARB I received a different response. My file is in a queue for final review and once it is assigned to someone it will then take an additional 30-45 days before it is transmitted to the IL registration boards. Yikes! That is a long time to wait! I thought I would have my license by the end of January....now It's looking more like March. Advice?

Had you transmitted your completed IDP to IL before? If not, then NCARB's final record review can take 30-45 days. They'll look at your experience, IDP and completed exams. So what you have said seems to be on par. A month from Nov 23rd is only Dec 23rd and with Christmas and New Years, a week or more could have been subtracted. It's only Jan 6th. They may be backlogged. Do stay on top of them and get an actual name and email for whom will be reviewing your record and contact them directly until it's sent to IL.
blacksmith

Postby archabati » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks Blacksmith. I have not transmitted before so I am sure it will take quite awhile. My concern is that they have told me it will take an additional 30-45 days once it is assigned to someone. But if this is par for the course I guess I will just have to wait it out. Can you tell I am anxious to get that license?!
archabati

Postby blacksmith » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 am

archabati wrote:Thanks Blacksmith. I have not transmitted before so I am sure it will take quite awhile. My concern is that they have told me it will take an additional 30-45 days once it is assigned to someone. But if this is par for the course I guess I will just have to wait it out. Can you tell I am anxious to get that license?!

It's understandable. I was also extremely anxious with mine.
blacksmith

Postby Design intent » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm

blacksmith wrote:
Design intent wrote:I don't see a screen for transmitting my record to the state. Where is that? Under which tab?

Im pretty sure it's in overview after you login on right.

See page 8- http://www.ncarb.org/en/Experience-Through-Internships/~/media/Files/PDF/Guidelines/IDP_Guidelines.pdf

I'm really confused by this. Don't you have to transmit your record to your state board before you are given an Authorization to test? Are you supposed to send an updated record after testing is completed?
Design intent

Postby blacksmith » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:22 pm

Design intent wrote:I'm really confused by this. Don't you have to transmit your record to your state board before you are given an Authorization to test? Are you supposed to send an updated record after testing is completed?

Yes an updated record after NCARB review is sent to your state.
blacksmith

Postby GTR » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:50 pm

archabati wrote:Has anyone experienced and extreme time lag with NCARB due to the holidays? I passed my last exam on November 23rd. I have been consistent in calling NCARB and they keep giving me the 30 day timeline. Well, I think it is sufficient to say that timeline has come and gone. During my latest correspondence with NCARB I received a different response. My file is in a queue for final review and once it is assigned to someone it will then take an additional 30-45 days before it is transmitted to the IL registration boards. Yikes! That is a long time to wait! I thought I would have my license by the end of January....now It's looking more like March. Advice?

Just wondering when did you receive the NCARB final review email? Nov. 23rd?
GTR

Postby crishe3 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Found out I passed on Dec. 16th. I got the first letter on the 29th. I ended up calling NCARB about the second letter yesterday and they sent it today (Jan 16th). I would follow up if has taken more than a couple weeks after you get your first letter.
crishe3

Postby GTR » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:28 pm

crishe3 wrote:Found out I passed on Dec. 16th. I got the first letter on the 29th. I ended up calling NCARB about the second letter yesterday and they sent it today (Jan 16th). I would follow up if has taken more than a couple weeks after you get your first letter.

Thank you for the info! Have you finished your idp before your final pass?
Is the first email you mean the automatic one? and the second for the final transmittal?
GTR

Postby Quigaboo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:49 pm

I got my last Pass today.... I finished IDP in 2005 so that cant be an issue. But you guys are saying that it might be up to 2 months before I get my license here in NY? FML!
Quigaboo

Postby lliu » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:51 am

Mine took about 5 weeks for NY state.

Jan 1: received last Pass
Jan 17: email from NY State Board that I've met the requirements for Licensure.
Feb 9: received license certificate in the post.

I feel like my process was a little different from what others mentioned in the post. I was expecting to get my license number in the email, but it came directly in the form of the Certificate. Not complaining though, glad to have it!
lliu

Postby Quigaboo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:30 am

Thanks lliu! I called the NY Office of Professions yesterday to inquire as to if there is any other info they need from me to ensure I have no delays once they receive my scores. They told me that they received them from NCARB already which amazes me since I only received my results on Friday. Then they told me my registration should be completed within 10 days and would receive my certificate 3-4 weeks later. But that still means I should be licensed next week and I can order my stamp as soon as my license number is posted on the website.

*FOLLOW UP* 1 hour after posting above, I checked the O of P website again and my license number was posted already. 4 days after receiving final pass results. THAT"S F-IN FAST!!!
Quigaboo

Postby Architeer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:23 am

Just thought I would write about what I was told.

I finished my ARE's before my IDP was completed but just now finished that as well.

NCARB told me that the record takes 30 days to review. I asked if that was true in most cases and she said yes. She said that the actual record only takes 20 minutes to an hour to actually review the record depending on how many submissions there are. The reason is takes 30 days is supposedly because of the number of people's records that are being reviewed.

I have 2 friends that completed their IDP before finishing their ARE's and they said that they received confirmation of approval in approx. 2 wks after completion of their hours.
Architeer

Postby JeromeS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:00 am

Quigaboo wrote:Thanks lliu! I called the NY Office of Professions yesterday to inquire as to if there is any other info they need from me to ensure I have no delays once they receive my scores. They told me that they received them from NCARB already which amazes me since I only received my results on Friday. Then they told me my registration should be completed within 10 days and would receive my certificate 3-4 weeks later. But that still means I should be licensed next week and I can order my stamp as soon as my license number is posted on the website.

*FOLLOW UP* 1 hour after posting above, I checked the O of P website again and my license number was posted already. 4 days after receiving final pass results. THAT"S F-IN FAST!!!

You got extremely lucky it appears.

NY OP has had my scores and forms since March 16. I called them to verify all is in order. They indicated it will be reviewed by the Board "likely in the next four weeks".

Honestly, I don't see the Architecture Board with a scheduled meeting in the next four weeks; the meeting schedules can be viewed online. Back to waiting...
JeromeS

Postby pman555 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:05 am

JeromeS wrote:
Quigaboo wrote:Thanks lliu! I called the NY Office of Professions yesterday to inquire as to if there is any other info they need from me to ensure I have no delays once they receive my scores. They told me that they received them from NCARB already which amazes me since I only received my results on Friday. Then they told me my registration should be completed within 10 days and would receive my certificate 3-4 weeks later. But that still means I should be licensed next week and I can order my stamp as soon as my license number is posted on the website.

NY OP has had my scores and forms since March 16. I called them to verify all is in order. They indicated it will be reviewed by the Board "likely in the next four weeks".

Honestly, I don't see the Architecture Board with a scheduled meeting in the next four weeks; the meeting schedules can be viewed online. Back to waiting...

That's so weird. Thanks to this post, I contacted the NY O of P and asked them if they required anything else of me prior to finishing all of my exams. They told me I needed to submit an updated Form 1, thankfully I didn't need to do this after my exams were all passed. They also said that once I pass all of my exams, I would just need to call them and they'll pull my scores and likely issue my license within a week or so. Sounds like the story changes depending on who you speak to.
pman555

Postby Nickers » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:35 pm

An update on my path. I'm in NY and received my last pass from NCARB Friday, March 27th. NY emailed me Monday, March 30th asking for an updated Form 1 as mine was over 5 years old. I dropped it in the mail that afternoon and just received my license number online (April 3rd). YAY. I finally feel like the path is complete.
Nickers

Postby rifkamattman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:46 am

Hmmm, I need to call Maryland to see what the hold up is for me then. Nickers, we found out about our passes within a day of each other and I haven't heard anything more. I did notice that the 'my ncarb' website erased all my test expiration dates. That's good at least. I will call on Monday.
rifkamattman

Postby rifkamattman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:36 pm

i just called the state board (Maryland) and they haven't received anything from NCARB and it has been 1.5 weeks since I found out my last pass. So then I just called NCARB and I wasn't even on the list to review! Good thing I called. She said that she will add me to the list in the morning, and then it will take 30 working days (she was clear that it isn't calendar days) to review before they send over to the state. She will try to make sure it is 30 working days from when I passed which is 2.5 calendar weeks ago. just glad I called. she said to expect an email when they are done reviewing and another when it is transmitted to Maryland. I guess if I don't hear anything by April 30th, then I should call back. April 30th will mark 30 working days from when I took my last exam. should be quicker than this, but I guess they have a long queue. I've waited this long, what's another few weeks. I guess I wanted something in hand before they change their mind. ;)
rifkamattman

Postby JeromeS » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Nickers wrote:An update on my path. I'm in NY and received my last pass from NCARB Friday, March 27th. NY emailed me Monday, March 30th asking for an updated Form 1 as mine was over 5 years old. I dropped it in the mail that afternoon and just received my license number online (April 3rd). YAY. I finally feel like the path is complete.

This is what makes me nervous... 7 days for Nickers. I am at 3 weeks and counting. On Thursday, April 2, NY OP told me the Board would review within the next 4 weeks. Why is my application different?

I am a ARE candidate who qualified for the ARE via experience and education, but without a Degree. Perhaps this has a bearing but why not just tell me that? The delay makes me feel like the rug is gonna get yanked out from under me and my qualifications, despite the documentation I have from NY OP granting me access to the test, etc.

Anybody have any insight into this? I need the catharthis...
JeromeS

Postby Nickers » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:54 am

I'm not sure why my path was so short. I am still waiting for my packet to arrive via snail mail but my number is online. I have a 4 year degree in Architectural Engineering Technology but not NAAB accredited. I had my education and IDP complete years (and I mean years) ago. That is why my Form 1 had to be resubmitted. It may be worth a phone call to ask why or what the hold up is. I was so nervous waiting that week. I was afraid someone would say, no sorry we can't give you a license after all. ha

Rifka, let me know how you make out. I would call right on that 30th day. I don't blame you for wanting it in hand. You worked hard!
Nickers

Postby JeromeS » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:42 am

I did call and Marcy was not exactly forthcoming. I'll wait a couple of more weeks and then call again and insist on an answer...
JeromeS

Postby Design intent » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 am

rifkamattman wrote: Nickers, we found out about our passes within a day of each other and I haven't heard anything more.

ME TOOO!

I've been on the (semi) war path btwn DC and NCARB. Once I got my final pass, I submitted my application for license online to DC. Because my state is direct, I thought that meant we (Me and State) get the results at the same time. I was mistaken. It means NCARB does all the record keeping and that the state just wants to know when everything is done.

DC was very fast (which is surprising) in sending me a letter saying they needed my NCARB record and that I have 30 (calendar) days to have NCARB submit it to them or I will forfeit my fee. Insert SHOCK and disgust here. :shock: :x

So I contacted NCARB with a copy of the letter and then I received an email that my file was reviewed and that at some point it *will* be transmitted to the state. At this point, I'm really concerned about NCARB's timeline and my $185 license fee.

If all of our info is available online in their portal, what is the hold up with certifying and sending to the state? At this point it should be automatic and not require human interaction. WTH.
Design intent

Postby rifkamattman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:41 am

design intent! I didn't know you were local to me. DC is right around the corner. We should totally go out for a drink sometime soon to celebrate this. serious. let me know via private message or whatever.

I think Maryland will be quick once they hear from NCARB. I have called Maryland and the same guy has answered both times and says he will start the process on his end on faith that I really did pass all my exams, but he can't do anything more than that until he gets the official email from NCARB. That's when I realized there was a problem at NCARB. When I called them, they said they weren't sure why my name isn't assigned to a reviewer yet because it should have been. She thought maybe because my IDP was so freaking old and was a previous IDP version. But it sounds like Nickers had that too. And maybe even you.

anyway, once my record is transmitted, then I think it is just a matter of me waiting for Maryland. I think. they should have everything else I hope. I haven't paid anyone anything yet though. so, there is no fee to expire. I guess I was waiting for someone to tell me how much to pay, etc. I don't even know. and if rumor is correct, I think my company will pay for my initial registration. need to investigate that more though.

well, let us know when you get your license. we are all within the same time frame, so it does seem inconsistent on the varied timeline. I'll update everyone too once I hear or see something. uggg.
rifkamattman

Postby Quigaboo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:18 am

JeromeS wrote:

Actually I don't think I was lucky. I called weeks prior to confirm they had everything that they need and I had to provide a new Form 1 which I did prior to taking my final exam. I had completed IDP in 2005 so there was no issue there. I passed all 7 of my exams in 7 months so I had no rolling clock issues. Got my pass results on a Friday. Called the O of P on Monday to see if they needed anything else and they told me they already received my scores from NCARB and I would have my license number within 10 days and my physical license in 3 weeks or so. I got my license number 2 days later and my license 4 days later.

A colleague of mine who took the same testing path as me but took 1 month longer had the exact same results as we finished out last exam 1 month apart. I have multiple colleagues who have had VERY similar results.
Quigaboo

Postby JeromeS » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:11 am

You're depressing me... :cry:
JeromeS

Postby rifkamattman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:53 am

JeromeS wrote:You're depressing me... :cry:

don't worry jeromeS. I still haven't heard anything and I passed on march 19th. they told me to not call back until 30 working days...april 30th. why do they not like me? I have a friend who passed all exams in November and didn't get his license from Virginia until march. some NCARB deal with him too.
rifkamattman

Postby JeromeS » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 am

Revised timeline:

March 6, Last Pass
March 6, request from NY OP for Additional Form 4 (I am an NY candidate with a combination of education and experience in lieu of a degree)
March 12, Form 4 received
March 12; request from NY OP - need updated Form 1
March 16, Form 1 received
March 20; email to NY OP to verify completeness; no reply
April 1: phone call to NY OP; they say Board review in the "next four weeks". What board, I didn't ask. I assumed NY Board, but then thought maybe they meant NCARBoard
April 10: NCARB "transmits" my record to NY
April 27: Meeting of the State Board
May 7: Email from NY OP, Approved for licensure
Will update again when license number received.
Last edited by JeromeS on Thu May 07, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeromeS

Postby rifkamattman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:51 pm

that's good that they transmitted. I bet it will go quick now that it is 'transmitted'. That's the step I need. I hope I don't have all the forms, etc. I'm doing Maryland and have a degree. I guess we'll see. let us know how it goes!
rifkamattman

Postby JeromeS » Fri May 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Update above:

May 8 - license number posted to Online Verification - Yay!
JeromeS

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION