amber book seminar-online

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

amber book seminar-online

Postby ar14su » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:25 pm

has anybody tried it? how is it? any feedbacks
ar14su

Re: amber book seminar-online

Postby Cookies » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:16 pm

It's very helpful. I have used it. It will help you with some useful concepts and diagrammatic illustrations.
Cookies

Postby marisepereira » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:30 pm

I did not liked it. AIA Chicago has a online seminar that I think it is better.
marisepereira

Postby jennib » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:47 pm

I think it was great. I doubt I would've passed without it. Ballast & Kaplan didn't seem to be enough to be adequately prepared unless you have a good deal of MEP experience. The Ermann seminarincluded many details and explanationsthat weren't covered in many study materials. I also liked the way he explained some MEEB things in simple steps and plain English. I highly recommend it.
jennib

Postby ar14su » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:55 pm

jennib wrote:I think it was great. I doubt I would've passed without it. Ballast & Kaplan didn't seem to be enough to be adequately prepared unless you have a good deal of MEP experience. The Ermann seminarincluded many details and explanationsthat weren't covered in many study materials. I also liked the way he explained some MEEB things in simple steps and plain English. I highly recommend it.

Jennib,

Did you read the MEEB after the online seminar. do you think that just doing the online seminar will help pass the exam ?
thanks.
ar14su

Postby buckie06 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:02 pm

I am halfway through the videos now and love it. He makes the concepts very easy to understand, especially since I do not have much MEP experience. He incorporates sample questions into the lessons so you're working through a practice exam during the whole seminar, instead of dumping it on you at the end.

The flash animations are cool too.
buckie06

Postby buckie06 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:10 pm

One additional thing I am doing is reviewing the vocab terms from Alkikat's notes before each section. For example I'll review the plumbing vocab page from alkikat before watching the plumbing video.

I found that while watching the thermal videos I was pausing the video and looking up the definitions for the terms a lot. I don't have much MEP experience and am not familiar with conduction/convection/transmissivity/etc. And he goes through them a bit fast. I printed the alkikat notes and keep them in front of me while watching the video so I can reference back to the vocab sheets. This method seems to be working so far.
buckie06

Postby archatz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:50 am

I used Amber Book online seminar as my primary studying resource. Just got my pass notice today, so I would say it was worth it. I found it informative and easy to follow.
archatz

Postby hiceman123 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:37 pm

I got my pass today. Amber's online course was amazing and very helpful.
hiceman123

Postby jennib » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Ar14su, I skimmed through MEEB and Jenny's notes after the seminar. You should definitely review MEEB or even Architectural Graphic Standards if you don't have MEEB. You will need to be familiar with many diagrams in either of those books. The Amber seminar covered everything, but of course it didn't cover every MEEB or AGS diagram out there. A quick review is all you need.
jennib

Postby vjam » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:47 am

I was one of the first to use Michael's online videos, at 3 weeks before my exam. I turned to it because I was seriously bogged down with MEEB and spinning my wheels in the weeds that MEEB is. He suggested reading through Water and Electrical before the seminar, which I mostly got through.

I found the videos to be very, very good! He is also prompt with answering questions you may send in, and I even spoke with him on one occasion. I highly recommend it. He goes over most of the questions in his book, but asks a lot of questions not in the book to help you understand the concepts and applications of the particular topic. He does not go into great depth on the smaller topics (escalators/moving walks, fire detection systems, communications etc), so a look through those chapters is HIGHLY recommended - a couple on these topics nipped me!

By the way, he may be batting 100%, because I haven't read of anyone (including myself) failing the exam after taking his seminar!

vjam :D
vjam

Postby alisabet12 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:55 pm

vjam wrote:I was one of the first to use Michael's online videos, at 3 weeks before my exam. I turned to it because I was seriously bogged down with MEEB and spinning my wheels in the weeds that MEEB is. He suggested reading through Water and Electrical before the seminar, which I mostly got through.

I found the videos to be very, very good! He is also prompt with answering questions you may send in, and I even spoke with him on one occasion. I highly recommend it. He goes over most of the questions in his book, but asks a lot of questions not in the book to help you understand the concepts and applications of the particular topic. He does not go into great depth on the smaller topics (escalators/moving walks, fire detection systems, communications etc), so a look through those chapters is HIGHLY recommended - a couple on these topics nipped me!

By the way, he may be batting 100%, because I haven't read of anyone (including myself) failing the exam after taking his seminar!

vjam :D

I just completed the live Amber seminar today in NYC, and I have to say I feel quite well prepared for my test Wednesday, I highly recommend it. He walked us through the building actually physically showing us the mechanical systems. I prepped with MEEB, Kaplan, Ballast, and Jenny's notes for three weeks prior. Lots of loose ends that this seminar closed up. I'll find out in a couple weeks if it worked.
alisabet12

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS