CLARIFICATION: Door swings CAN overlap with a turning radius

Interior Layout & Building Layout Vignettes

CLARIFICATION: Door swings CAN overlap with a turning radius

Postby gek5890 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:02 pm

I have been confused as several people (including myself) have gone back and forth on the question of: can the 5' turning radius overlap with a door swing? Meaning the actual swing, not just the CFA. The answer, according to ADA, is YES they can overlap. The link below takes you to ADA standards.

Refer to section 304.4: "304.4 Door Swing. Doors shall be permitted to swing into turning spaces."

It is restated in section 603.2.3: "603.2.3 Door Swing. Doors shall not swing into the clear floor space or clearance required for any fixture. Doors shall be permitted to swing into the required turning space."

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStan ... ndards.pdf

PLEASE correct me if I am missing something! But from my reading the overlap is entirely OK.
gek5890

Re: CLARIFICATION: Door swings CAN overlap with a turning ra

Postby chihirokawaii » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:59 am

Thank you, Gek. This is very helpful!

For our future reference, doors cannot overlap the turning radius and the door must swing out in ADA bathroom.
chihirokawaii

Postby MkF_Smity » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Doesnt that contradict what Gek just said? I always assume that it is okay to overlap as the door is either open or closed when turning a wheel chair.
MkF_Smity

Postby chihirokawaii » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 pm

It is ok to overlap in the programs given in the exam. But in real life, "ADA bathroom" must have 5' turning diameter and the door must be push-out.
chihirokawaii

Return to SD - SCHEMATIC DESIGN