Pass - tips and advice

Pass - tips and advice

Postby jdgk22 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Hello,

I'm a big believer in paying it forward so after my recent pass with this forum as guide, I'll offer what I can...

The CSE is very similar to the ARE 5.0 exams in terms of both format and content. Generally, I would say it is most like a combination of PA and CE with some technical knowledge required in addition to all of the California-specific information listed on the CAB Reference Material page. Know the AIA contracts, especially the back ends of A201 and B101, and what to do if there is a conflict between various parties. Review CBC 11B Chapter 2 and any information on accessible routes. Take a quick look at the FEMA 454 / FEMA E-74 Seismic Design guides - yes,they're long but if you're in a time crunch there are plenty of diagrams that neatly summarize the text, plus the information is handy for daily practice. As others have mentioned, you will need a working knowledge of systems and code (obviously) but it doesn't pay at all to try to memorize everything, the test format is much more directed towards application (i.e. what would you do if the client requests this or that, or what alternative would you select given this change in the conditions). Review CalGreen Chapter 5 and Energy Code.

I used the Woo study guides as a starting point but I found the sample questions to be overly trivial, poorly written and some just plain wrong. Don't fret if you score poorly on his practice exams the first few times through. I highly recommend actually reading the primary source material. I would just avoid Doucette altogether, I didn't need it.

I despise laying out a detailed test plan - I'm not going to tell anyone to study x hours x many weeks or what material to start or end with. It doesn't really matter in the end. Something that really worked for me (as with the ARE 5.0s) was to write my own test questions using http://www.goconqr.com while reading the primary source material at my own pace. The premium service is cheap +/- $30 and it has been worth every penny and then some. You can always reschedule fairly easily (much more easily than with Prometric) if you feel like you are falling behind. It took me probably 4-6 weeks of diligent studying if you combine all the non-consecutive days I actually had time to read w/ wedding and baby taking priority.

Highly recommend the Agoura Hills location. Seems like the building has been recently renovated.

Good luck to all future testers!
J
jdgk22

Re: Pass - tips and advice

Postby Joosetiger » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:30 am

Thanks and Congrats. way to go!!

question for you, what did you find as a good resource for studying accessibility? reading the CBC Chap. 11a, 11b? or is there a more summarized version of that info?

Thanks
Joosetiger

Postby jdgk22 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:43 pm

Go for 11B. It's more restrictive, and more "universal", so it's more likely to apply to any of the case studies you might get.

I don't know if there are any concise summaries of 11B available, I'd recommend reading through the actual code language and focusing on the 200s sections. Don't try to memorize every number or every diagram.

Another good option is to either ask questions to your friendly neighborhood CASp consultant or read through a CASp report if you can get your hands on one for a non-residential project.
jdgk22

Postby jdgk22 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:47 pm

PS I love using UpCodes for any code research. (https://up.codes/codes/california)

Much better than those weird online pdfs.
jdgk22

Postby Joosetiger » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:47 am

Thanks man!
Joosetiger

Postby Joosetiger » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:29 pm

Hi, another question for you. Do you have a lead on a good summary source for the Cal. Energy Code, nonresidential sections. It's sorted not linear and just reading it doesn't seem to give big picture understanding. Too much minutia, ya know. Thanks for any help.

Best, J
Joosetiger

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM