Test Strategy - Case Study First??

Test Strategy - Case Study First??

Postby GEA » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 am

I'm re-taking PPD next week after failing it in June and I'm trying to figure out how I want to take the test. I feel like skipping to the case studies to start might be a good strategy. Can anyone please provide any input or thoughts on this?

Thanks!
GEA

Re: Test Strategy - Case Study First??

Postby thd7t » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Case study questions take longer than other questions on the exam, but are weighted the same. I would hold off until the end to do case studies.

The more important aspect of strategy on these exams is to do a quick run-through of all questions, giving each your best shot and flagging liberally. Working this way, you will have time to review at least your flagged questions and you'll answer all of the ones that you find easy. It puts you much further along toward passing.
thd7t

Re: Test Strategy - Case Study First??

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 am

GEA --

I did all case studies at the end of each exam. I've heard a minority of candidates suggest that doing the case studies first offers advantages, but I've never heard a strong argument for this method.

The only possible advantage that some have mentioned is that sometimes the reference materials found in the case studies can help answer questions in the MC part of the exam. I mean, yes this is possible, and I'm sure it happens -- but wow!.... how often would this possibly occur? Maybe twice on an exam? Or maybe not at all. Again, this is possible, but I don't buy that they've cracked the code to the ARE via this method.

I also think that the last thing a candidate needs is to get bogged down in the case study questions while 100 other MC questions are still on deck. In my experience -- and I passed all exams on the first try -- but for both PPD and PDD I had ZERO extra time to experiment with exam-taking methods, or to peruse the exam for hidden easter egg information. They give you enough time to finish, no question, but most candidates need to keep it the hell moving!
Sarcasmo

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design