questions about building location

questions about building location

Postby leslusis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 pm

when we talk about put a building by a lake, may be the north side, south, east or west. what's the point of the question? why does lake matters? if we want a nice view to the lake but don't want get too much sunshine. shall we put it at the south side of the lake? so the south wall could be solid?
leslusis

Re: questions about building location

Postby Ruby » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Bodies of water influence microclimate.
Ruby

Postby mabdelsa » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:42 am

I struggle with that one as well. Not sure which face of the building needs to have the "view" of the lake. I could put a window on all 4 sides and see the lake just fine. If anyone has any strategies/tips on that one...would be super helpful.

Thanks
mabdelsa

Postby matthew » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:14 pm

I am looking to understand the same problem!!

Does it have to do with wind patterns??
matthew

Postby thd7t » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 am

When questions like this come up, there will be a more specific condition that's described. They will give a location and tell you if you're looking for views, thermal comfort, or some other condition. If it's thermal comfort, consider typical wind patterns. If it's views, consider sun angles.

For what it's worth, I barely touched the lake issue in studying and got five of these questions.
thd7t

Postby BnyBen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:21 pm

What kills me about these questions is that we are not given enough information on the exam. If we have to consider how bodies of water influence micro climate than why are we not given the specific wind direction? Is it enough to consider that the prevailing winds in most of the US are from the west (i.e. Westerlies)? Or are we to assume as I've read in some of the study materials that wind comes from the north?

I've taken the exam twice and gotten locations in the far north and far south. Has anyone found a good map of USA wind patterns or am I overthinking this? Probably. :roll:
BnyBen

Postby ajmeriniti » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:36 pm

I hate this type of question - I had like 5 similar to this :evil:
ajmeriniti

Postby max8176 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:51 pm

I find this info from another forum. I am confused of the reference of leeward and windward, in term of the lake?

The question on the ARE to which everyone is alluding gives parameters on which you can base an (the) appropriate answer. Furthermore, depending on client preference these parameters could change the answer. The question is what's your givens? Information on Topography, Climate, Views, Prevailing Winds, Systems Integration among a few others will all skew the answer to a different location. (Hence why above, my answer of near the body of water is correct, albeit seemingly sarcastic.)

See below how adding even one more parameter to your question gives you the ability to answer correctly.
Prevailing Winds given: Place Building leeward of prevailing wind in Arid, Cold or Temperate Climates but windward in Humid.
Hemisphere given: Place Building North to take advantage of solar gain in Cold or Temperate Climates, but South in Arid and Humid (assuming N hemisphere)
Client preference given: Place Building where ever the heck they want if money is not an obstacle.
Since the ARE is geared for North America, the answer to your question above is most likely the second example given above.
max8176

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design