SPD DESIGN VIGNETTE- Alt 2; 4 & 5- PLEASE REVIEW?

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

SPD DESIGN VIGNETTE- Alt 2; 4 & 5- PLEASE REVIEW?

Postby clarisa24 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:52 am

Hi,
Taking exam in a few days, anyone want to comment?
A few questions I have for each of my solutions:

ALT2: Can a road approach a service frontally? I see a few people doing it-but it seems counter intuitive... Does NCARB have an issue with it?

ALT4:I realized I forgot to put the Deciduous trees in font of the plaza on Alternate 4! I think I missed understood the program and thought I was suppose to allow noon sun... :x
If I were to put the Deciduous trees at the south side of the plaza, they will only cover with 50' of the plaza - towards North side- does that mean I have to add more trees in the middle of the plaza to shade the remainder of the plaza that would still be under the sun? Or do I have to change the shape of my plaza?

ALT5: How close does "in proximity" mean?

Attaching solutions for ALT 2, 4 & 5
Any feedback would be very appreciated!!!!

THANK YOU!
C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clarisa24

Re: SPD DESIGN VIGNETTE- Alt 2; 4 & 5- PLEASE REVIEW?

Postby imiller » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Alt 2:
- day care entry is recessed so needs to be north facing to be viewed from bentley. you might have been ok if not for the C-trees blocking the view. Rotating the Daycare north facing and flipping the HC to the west side will make it work.
- the PP looks just shy of the entry. You can overlap the box in front of the entry, just not the building itself.
- the pp doesn't have noonday shade

Otherwise alt 2 looks pretty good

Alt 4:
- Again city hall has a recessed entry so needs to be north facing to be seen from bentley. I suppose it's close enough to bentley that you might get oblique views if not for the C-trees.
- The public plaza has no shade (but that's an easy fix with a few D-trees)
- Again, extend the path passed the box in front of the bldg. it looks like you stopped the path and then continued it on the other side. this would suggest that it is not continuous.

hmmm.... i think everything else looks good.

I haven't done Alt 5, so i won't comment on it just in case i take it tonight. If you get a moment, any eyes on the alt 4 i posted would be greatly appreciated.
imiller

Postby clarisa24 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:19 am

Thanks for the reply imiller! I did not see until today... I had my exam a week ago and the vignette was so much harder than any of these vignettes I had practiced! I guess I got a difficult one, but who cares, that is all in the past now... I am not sure if I passed or not yet.. waiting for results....
I hope you had a good and successful test!
Thanks again for your feedback!
C.
clarisa24

Postby cma52572 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm waiting too. The vignette was super extreme wasn't it??? I don't see how there could have been more than 1 solution to the design vignette.

I'm actually more worried about the MC questions.

I will be interested to hear how everyone did.
cma52572

Postby clarisa24 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 am

Hey! How did you do? Did you get the results?
I passed! And now transitioning to 5.0... these two exams PPD and PDD ... these new exams look scary!
Hope you had a PASS on your exam!

C.
clarisa24

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN