5.0 Grading Compared to 4.0 - ?

5.0 Grading Compared to 4.0 - ?

Postby kqm5902 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 am

I am transitioning from 4.0 now and I'm confused to the grading of 5.0. Is it broken down similarly to 4.0 where each category is graded independently and each category must be passed? Or, do they look at the overall percentage of questions answered? Are the Case Studies graded independently of the multiple choice and can you potentially fail the Case Studies and pass the exam? Thanks in advance.
kqm5902

Re: 5.0 Grading Compared to 4.0 - ?

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:40 am

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's just a percentage of correct answers, and not broken down by category. I studied the Amber videos for my last two tests (PPD and PDD), and I followed his advice. He says a question is worth a point no matter what, so I didn't stress at all about the case studies or about structures. I just went in assuming I'd get some of those wrong. I did give myself extra time to do the case studies, but I'm sure I got a few of those 20 case study questions wrong (on both tests). I figured my time was better spent double checking my math and my unit conversions on an easy problem, rather than reading, and re-reading, and re-reading info to solve a particular case study problem that seemed tricky. If you only have PPD and PDD left, I highly recommend the Amber videos. I read someone else on here who only used those videos to pass the last two, so that's pretty much what I did. I spent a few extra hours on other materials, but mostly just studied Amber. I studied for 3 weeks and took these two tests 6 days apart and found out last week I passed. All done now! Good luck to you, you'll be done soon too!
Ryan

Re: 5.0 Grading Compared to 4.0 - ?

Postby thd7t » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 am

4.0 was not graded how you think it was graded. It was just a percentage. NCARB documented circumstances where you could fail a minor vignette and still pass the exam.

In 5.0, each question (case study or otherwise) is just 1 point. There is no weighting and you don't have to pass every section. This is why they don't give a score report when you pass. It was the same in 4.0.
thd7t

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design