Ballast Practice Exam Question(s) Explained

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Ballast Practice Exam Question(s) Explained

Postby drfmpower » Mon May 07, 2018 12:30 pm

#28 Which of the following does not contribute to the size of a building's footprint?
Answer: A. Use Group

Why is it use Group? In IBC, the Occupancy Classification does matter for the size of a building's footprint (see IBC 2015 Table 506.2, Allowable Area Factor). Please someone explain why this seems contradictory to me.

#65 Which of the following determines the allowable height of a building? (Choose the four that apply.)
Answer: A (use group), B (type of construction), C (fire-suppression system), F (zoning ordinances)

I got this answer correct but, I second guessed myself because of question #28. The answer includes Use Group, which makes sense. Shouldn't Use Group contribute to the building's footprint and height?
drfmpower

Re: Ballast Practice Exam Question(s) Explained

Postby Coach » Tue May 08, 2018 3:33 am

drfmpower wrote:#28 Which of the following does not contribute to the size of a building's footprint?
Answer: A. Use Group

Why is it use Group? In IBC, the Occupancy Classification does matter for the size of a building's footprint (see IBC 2015 Table 506.2, Allowable Area Factor). Please someone explain why this seems contradictory to me.

What are the other options? Use group area limitations don't really impact footprint because you can have multiple floors and area separation walls.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby drfmpower » Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 am

The other options were:
B. total gross area
C. number of floors
D. configuration

It just seems like the "Use group" would play a part in the building's footprint because of the table in IBC.
drfmpower

Postby Coach » Wed May 16, 2018 3:06 pm

drfmpower wrote:The other options were:
B. total gross area
C. number of floors
D. configuration

It just seems like the "Use group" would play a part in the building's footprint because of the table in IBC.

No. This question is looking for your understanding of the difference between design and law, internal vs external impacts. It's really a design 101 issue.
As I mentioned before, allowable area based on use can be mitigated by other code provisions and the ultimate footprint is determined by the desired area and how you choose to manipulate it.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby drfmpower » Wed May 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Ok, thanks Coach.
drfmpower

Postby hllARE » Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 am

May I know what the Configuration means? examples?
hllARE

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE