Ballast practice exam #10and #68

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Ballast practice exam #10and #68

Postby 55hounddog » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:17 am

Couple of practice quizes I just can't seem to agree..... anyone, thoughts?

Ballast #10
An old stone mansion, constructed in 1850's, is purchased by a law firm. The building is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, and the firm intends to apply for federal tax credits. An architect joins the project to figure out how to fit the attorney's officess, support spaces, librayr, and conference rooms into the existing space. In addition, the architect has been asked to survey the existing building and identify any portions of the structure in need of repair. Which of the following recommendations would NOT be appropriate for this facility?
A. Remove an existing service stairway, which appears to have been added to the building in the 1970's and replace it with a new stairway designed to comply with current code requirements.
B. Remove the contemporary carpet in the dining room, strip the white paint from the mahogany paneling, and refinish the wood with a dark stain to approximate the way the room looked in Civil War era photograph.
C. Replace a crumbling plaster medallion on the ceiling of the entry foyer with a new medallion, made from a mold of the existing ornament.
D. Remove all of the trim from the interior walls, install furring strips and insulation, replace the plaster, and reinstall the trim.

The answer is D. I feel like A and B are worse than D.

Ballast #68
An architect is planning a site for complex of office buildings and wishes to specify ground surface materials that will helps to moderate the microclimate. To meet this goal, he should specify materials with:
A. high albedo and high conductivity
B. low albedo and low conductivity
C. high albedo and low conductivity
D. low albedo and high conductivity

The answer is D. I thought B was the one....

Share your thoughts and insights please!
55hounddog

Re: Ballast practice exam #10and #68

Postby Nike » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:39 am

for question #10 - i believe i would have also selected D. A, B and C sound like they fall in the restoration category, where it is permitted to remove materials from other periods and replace things that are deteriorated prior to work to preserve the historic character.

for question #68 - same thing here, i think D is indeed correct. Ballast explains that materials with low albedo and high conductivity moderate and stabilize the microclimate bc heat is quickly absorbed, stored, and released when the temp drops. low albedo materials will produce considerably less short wave radiation that would be reflected.

hope this helps! and thanks for your review on my vignette!! :)
Nike

Postby 55hounddog » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey Nike! Thanks for your response. I think I got the #68 now... thanks. As for #10 though, in order to meet the federal tax credit, I thought you need to go with Rehabilitation, which is a different set of criteria than Restoration. Maybe I am reading this too deep.
55hounddog

Postby penguinqueen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 am

55hounddog wrote:Hey Nike! Thanks for your response. I think I got the #68 now... thanks. As for #10 though, in order to meet the federal tax credit, I thought you need to go with Rehabilitation, which is a different set of criteria than Restoration. Maybe I am reading this too deep.

Yeah, I read the same way... My question is, do you need to pursuit either rehabilitation or preservation in order to get tax incentive?
penguinqueen

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE