PASS! Procrastinator's Story

PASS! Procrastinator's Story

Postby lexthefreerider » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 pm

Earlier this month I went to test center in Carson to take my first shot at CSE. Test center provided locker and coat hanger. I was one of 15-20 others to show up in the morning. By the time I finished my exam, I was the only one left at the test center. I had a chance to scream and dance since I was the only one there and the two test center attendees allowed me to scream and dance! Here is how I did it in less than 8 weeks:

I definitely had a reason to study very hard for this last step of my professional licensure. We were due end of March for our second child. I knew, with two kids in my life, I won't be able to study for anything. However, I procrastinate easily. I was going to follow David's UWE 3-month study plan. Well, that didn't happen. I will be honest here and I will say my total study time was less than 8 weeks. First 6 weeks more casual and last 2 weeks more focused and with more intensity. I HIGHLY utilized UWE's audio companion every time I'm on the road (client meetings, site visits, plan check submittals, personal matters, etc). I probably listened to each category at least 2-3 times. I went back to specific knowledge statement again and again until I fully grasp the information. I only did the OMCES once since I did not have enough time to do it multiple times. I feel many questions on the OMCES are repeated questions. So even if you did the OMCES only once, you probably answered a question on very important topic many many times so you are sure to remember that topic. This actually helped a lot to remember those important topics during the actual exam. The final 2 weeks I gave up my family quality time after work. Instead, I was a regular visitor to a cafe that opened till midnight in my neighborhood. Everyday from 7:30pm till close, I was there listening to David's audio companion again and again, wrote down all the important information on my notebook (I'm a guy who needs to physically write down things before I can retrieve it back from my brain). There was no other study materials for me. Just David's UWE. Stick with his study guide, really understand all of the knowledge statements covered in the study guide. In my opinion, David does cover it pretty well. If you are a procrastinator like me, just don't wait to schedule your exam date and don't allow yourself to change the date. Once you have the date set, you will have to study for it at some point and increase the intensity as you go. Good luck!
lexthefreerider

Re: PASS! Procrastinator's Story

Postby markarch » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Congrats! Great to hear that it is possible to study and pass with a single child and one on the way (I am in the same boat :o ). I agree, the audio companion has been so helpful. I read TWE twice and audio 2-3 times, and then I went over to the Woo guide and felt it lacking compared to TWE.
markarch

Re: PASS! Procrastinator's Story

Postby concepts » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Congrats! and much thanks for your story. I am going through Doucette's UWE and have been super nervous that it is not in-depth enough. I don't do well memorizing facts - I need concepts and context. On the other hand, I simply can't find time during the workweek to do anything more than listen on my commutes. So I am going to have to trust that some more audio review and a few more weekends can be enough. :shock:
concepts

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM