Zonal Cavity Question - error in MEEB?

Zonal Cavity Question - error in MEEB?

Postby adamgidaszewski » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi All,

This might be getting to detailed, but I'm just beginning to get a grip on the zonal cavity method and I've stumbled upon something in MEEB that I'm unclear about and hoping someone can clarify it for me.

In determining the CU and calculating the cavity ratio, the step by step instructions in section 15.21 give an equation (1 or 2 options) of CR = 5h x l+w/l+w (p 664)

I think this is a misprint because in doing some separate research, that formula should be written as CR = 5h x l+w/lxw

To further my point, a few pages later in an example problem (p 668), they list the equation in determining the room cavity as RCR = 5h x l+w/lxw

The error on p 664 being that they are adding the dimensions of the room and not multiplying them.

Am I crazy or is this in fact a misprint?

Thanks!
adamgidaszewski

Re: Zonal Cavity Question - error in MEEB?

Postby vrcat25 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 am

adamgidaszewski wrote:Hi All,

This might be getting to detailed, but I'm just beginning to get a grip on the zonal cavity method and I've stumbled upon something in MEEB that I'm unclear about and hoping someone can clarify it for me.

In determining the CU and calculating the cavity ratio, the step by step instructions in section 15.21 give an equation (1 or 2 options) of CR = 5h x l+w/l+w (p 664)

I think this is a misprint because in doing some separate research, that formula should be written as CR = 5h x l+w/lxw

To further my point, a few pages later in an example problem (p 668), they list the equation in determining the room cavity as RCR = 5h x l+w/lxw

The error on p 664 being that they are adding the dimensions of the room and not multiplying them.

Am I crazy or is this in fact a misprint?

Thanks!

You're not being too detailed and not crazy...This is a misprint. The cavity ratio is a very basic equation and the denominator is the area and not the sum. You can do a quick cross reference for "cavity ratio" to verify, as i did. I would also suggest reviewing this handout if you haven't already -> http://aesl.hanyang.ac.kr/class/are141/ ... method.pdf

MEEB is a good source, but the handout is easier to follow and has a better example.
vrcat25

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design