Ramp 4.1 Alternate - Questions, Door location changed

Ramp, Stair, & Roof Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Ramp 4.1 Alternate - Questions, Door location changed

Postby shar.ak » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi All,

Could you please review and comment? Please ignore the original location of the door. I drew the ramp considering the wall/door is moved to the south side of the space.

Question: do I need the railing to wrap the entire landing at 8", especially since part of the landing is higher than the adjacent levels (bottom of the stair)? I think I do (per code requirements as well), but in that case I wouldn't be able to obtain a clear 60" circle. Any ideas/suggestions for tackling this? Should I just turn the ramp 90 degree again at the 8" landing and extend the width of the landing to be more than 5' to accommodate the 60" circle?

Thank you,
A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shar.ak

Re: Ramp 4.1 Alternate - Questions, Door location changed

Postby Coach » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm

shar.ak wrote:Question: do I need the railing to wrap the entire landing at 8", especially since part of the landing is higher than the adjacent levels (bottom of the stair)?

You need rail until adjacent surface is at or above the ramp/landing level. In this case, to the 2nd riser.

I think I do (per code requirements as well), but in that case I wouldn't be able to obtain a clear 60" circle.

That landing doesn't require a clear circle.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby shar.ak » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks Coach.

I am attaching the revised version.

Regarding the 60" clear circle at that landing -- I want to make sure I interpret this correctly -- 60" clear circle is required only for maneuvering, and making a 90 degree turn does not classify as maneuvering?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shar.ak

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:14 am

shar.ak wrote:Regarding the 60" clear circle at that landing -- I want to make sure I interpret this correctly -- 60" clear circle is required only for maneuvering, and making a 90 degree turn does not classify as maneuvering?

"The space required for a wheelchair to make a 180-degree turn is a clear space of 60 inches in diameter"
Coach
Site Admin

Postby shar.ak » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks Coach. I should have paid attention before!
shar.ak

Return to BDCS - BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION SYSTEMS