ARE 5-Practice exam/Ballast question

ARE 5-Practice exam/Ballast question

Postby blancovero » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 am

Hi All,
Questions 447 of Ballast states the following:
Which of the following are required of lavatories to meet ADA accessibility Guidelines/ (Choose the four that apply)
a) The lavatory rim shall be no more than 34 in above ff
b) Clear floor space of 30 in by 48 in must be provided in front of the lavatory
c) All piping must be concealed within cabinetry
d) The bowl of the sink must be no greater than 6.5 in deep
e) A minimum clearance of 29 in must be provided in front of the lavatory
f) All piping must be insulated

According to Ballast, the answers are a, b, d and e. Which I agree, but what it is confusing is that ADA also required to have the pipes insulated or concealed to avoid the user of the lavatory to get burn.

Any insight in this question?

Trying to study this test and retake for the THIRD time shortly.

Thank you All
blancovero

Re: ARE 5-Practice exam/Ballast question

Postby Coach » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:23 am

blancovero wrote:c) All piping must be concealed within cabinetry
f) All piping must be insulated

According to Ballast, the answers are a, b, d and e. Which I agree, but what it is confusing is that ADA also required to have the pipes insulated or concealed to avoid the user of the lavatory to get burn.

See the difference?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby blancovero » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 am

Sorry Coach but I do not see the difference...
In that case all the answers are correct, instead of checking 4 of them I have to select all of them as correct answers
blancovero

Postby thd7t » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 am

blancovero wrote:Sorry Coach but I do not see the difference...
In that case all the answers are correct, instead of checking 4 of them I have to select all of them as correct answers

If you conceal the pipes in cabinetry, then you don't have to insulate them, therefore f is wrong. If you insulate pipes, you don't have to conceal them in cabinetry, therefore c is wrong.

It's stupid and pedantic and not a good example of a question you'll find on the ARE, but it does help you with the weird wording that they might use and it lays out the requirements of an ADA sink. If you thought it was a, b, d, or e, you need to review the material more.

Again, bad question, but potentially useful.
thd7t

Postby max8176 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 am

C is not correct because it says all piping "must" (absolutely) be concealed in cabinetry. A lavatory that complies to ADA guidelines do not necessary have to conceal in cabinetry. It can be open underneath the sink/top as in a lot of ADA compliance restroom which is opened but piping is insulated.

thd7d: how testing going?
max8176

Postby thd7t » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 am

max8176 wrote:

C is not correct because it says all piping "must" (absolutely) be concealed in cabinetry. A lavatory that complies to ADA guidelines do not necessary have to conceal in cabinetry. It can be open underneath the sink/top as in a lot of ADA compliance restroom which is opened but piping is insulated.

thd7d: how testing going?

It's going well, but I have not been progressing as quickly in my studying since finishing PA at the beginning of December. I'm looking at the PPD and PDD together, but my office has a busy season that starts in January and runs until/through summer, so my study time has been limited. How about yours?
thd7t

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Either blancero copied answer "e" incorrectly, or Ballast provided a meaningless choice. Notice a few key words missing from the actual reference?
Sarcasmo

Postby blancovero » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

sarcasmo: The questions was copied exactly how it is in Ballast. Thank you
blancovero

Postby Sarcasmo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:36 am

blancovero wrote:sarcasmo: The questions was copied exactly how it is in Ballast. Thank you

Then it's a Ballast problem. I know what the 29" is attempting to reference, but read answers "b" and "e"...."e" is a meaningless fragment.

I wrote a couple posts on study materials for 5.0 -- make sure you're not giving third-party materials a primary place in your study efforts.
Sarcasmo

Postby mclaw131 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Sarcasmo wrote:
blancovero wrote:sarcasmo: The questions was copied exactly how it is in Ballast. Thank you

Then it's a Ballast problem. I know what the 29" is attempting to reference, but read answers "b" and "e"...."e" is a meaningless fragment.

I wrote a couple posts on study materials for 5.0 -- make sure you're not giving third-party materials a primary place in your study efforts.

I want to help clarify this, even though this is a slightly older post. For lavatories, you're required to have a 30" X 48" floor clearance, but E is also very important. The floor clearance of a sink can only extend 19" from the face of the counter/lav. I've run into this recently on a project where an outside designer was trying to minimize the space for the bathrooms, but then wanted to use a full counter (read 24" deep) for the lavs. I had to make sure the cleanse beyond the door that swung in still left the sink clearance, but the wall had to be 5" further from that. So,in summation:

The sink is required to have a 30" X 48" floor clearance. A maximum of 19" of that clearance can go under the sink, leaving a minimum of 29" in front of the sink, answer E.
mclaw131

Postby Sarcasmo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:52 am

mclaw131 --

I think you missed my point, which is that I think answer "e" is worded poorly -- and it appears that your thinking on the question plays directly into that ambiguity.
You're right that 19 max depth from the front of the sink subtracted from 48 does equal 29, but, I would doubt that that is the 29 which answer "e" is referencing.

I'm of the opinion that they are attempting to reference the 29" vertical knee clearance required at the front edge of the lavatory -- which can reduce to 27" at a point 8" back from the front edge of the lavatory.

Again, poor wording in my opinion, but it would seem odd to reference clear floor space requirements in two different answers -- so many inches that must be provided in front of the lavatory in two different answers.
Sarcasmo

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation