AHPP really necessary? Too general for me.

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

AHPP really necessary? Too general for me.

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 am

I see everyone here say they studied AHPP. I have studied kaplan, ballast, and the ladies' notes and I just passed CDS a little over a month ago. I am skimming through the normal AHPP (should I have gotten the student one?) now and find the material much more generalized then the previous mentioned material. I searched the word "programming" and barely found anything of substance. Am I missing something? I rather read kaplan again I think.
anonymous283

Re: AHPP really necessary? Too general for me.

Postby thd7t » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 am

If you are looking for information on Programming, find "Problem Seeking" for free online by William Pena and read the first half. It's really light reading (mostly diagrams and bullet points), but it's clearly the primary source that NCARB used for this portion of the exam.

I didn't touch AHPP for PPP and passed. CDS followed by PPP is a great exam order. You should touch back on your CDS info, as well. Use as many practice questions as possible to find your weak areas.

Also, make sure you touch the Secretary of the Interior's Historical Building standards.
thd7t

Postby fare75 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 am

thd7t wrote:If you are looking for information on Programming, find "Problem Seeking" for free online by William Pena and read the first half. It's really light reading (mostly diagrams and bullet points), but it's clearly the primary source that NCARB used for this portion of the exam.

AHPP programming chapter is more readable than the 2nd half of "Problem Seeking" :lol:
fare75

Postby thd7t » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 am

fare75 wrote:
thd7t wrote:If you are looking for information on Programming, find "Problem Seeking" for free online by William Pena and read the first half. It's really light reading (mostly diagrams and bullet points), but it's clearly the primary source that NCARB used for this portion of the exam.

AHPP programming chapter is more readable than the 2nd half of "Problem Seeking" :lol:

I never even tried the second half of it! I had heard that the important part was the first half. It got me through.
thd7t

Postby anonymous283 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm

I didn't touch AHPP for PPP and passed. CDS followed by PPP is a great exam order. You should touch back on your CDS info, as well. Use as many practice questions as possible to find your weak areas.

Also, make sure you touch the Secretary of the Interior's Historical Building standards.

Thanks for the info but the Secretary of the Interior's Historical Building standards is a 250 page document. I think I'll pass. How many questions can there be on preservation?
anonymous283

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:32 pm

anonymous283 wrote:Thanks for the info but the Secretary of the Interior's Historical Building standards is a 250 page document. I think I'll pass. How many questions can there be on preservation?

At least read these pages and the four linked standards: https://www.nps.gov/tps/standards.htm https://www.nps.gov/tps/standards/four-treatments.htm
Coach
Site Admin

Postby brifont » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:17 pm

thd7t wrote:
fare75 wrote:

I never even tried the second half of it! I had heard that the important part was the first half. It got me through.

Where would the worthwhile "first half" of Pena's book end? Up to what chapter? Thank you.
brifont

Postby brifont » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:21 pm

brifont wrote:
thd7t wrote:
fare75 wrote:

Where would the worthwhile "first half" of Pena's book end? Up to what chapter? Thank you.

My bad! I see it is literally divided in Part 1 and Part 2 :roll: :lol: Thank you.
brifont

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE