Breaking Down PPD - Section 1

Breaking Down PPD - Section 1

Postby texasARE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 pm

I want to see if we can start more conversations about the test here and help each other break down the scope of this exam. I feel like there is a disconnect to what we assume is on the test and what NCARB is telling us and what is actually showing up.

SECTION 1: Environmental Conditions & Context 10-16%

In this section you'll use the site information gathered in the programming and analysis phase of a project to plan the site and environmental aspects of a project

OBJECTIVE 1.1
Determine location of building and site improvements based on site analysis
Based on views, wind, topography, adjacencies, program concepts, and other factors, you will need to be able to locate a new built project on its site. This can include the orientation of one building, the arrangement of multiple buildings, or the configuration of site improvements.

OBJECTIVE 1.2
Determine sustainable principles to apply to design
An architect must use sun, wind, temperature, precipitation, and other climatic data to select building orientation and shape, building envelope design, and active and/or passive building systems. Sustainable principles also include considering recycled content and identifying opportunities to minimize waste when selecting building materials.

OBJECTIVE 1.3
Determine impact of neighborhood context on the project design
You will need to consider the character of a sites neighborhood , including proximity to various modes of transit, nearby amenities, the scale of adjacent buildings, surrounding façade materials, historic precedent, and historic preservation requirements. Understanding how these impact a project is necessary.

Okay so just focusing on Section 1 - what is this asking you to understand? It sounds like SPD to me - would you think sun, wind, and light would cover all of this? Maybe also Building Codes Illustrated and AGS?

Any practice questions y'all think would fit into this category?

Any thoughts are welcome! - Id love to talk through every section.

:geek:
texasARE

Re: Breaking Down PPD - Section 1

Postby Melon Panda » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Yeah, that’s the section I had “pond questions”!!!!

-Melon
Melon Panda

Postby texasARE » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 am

Melon Panda wrote:Yeah, that’s the section I had “pond questions”!!!!

-Melon

That's a good point! - I wish I could understand those questions more. :(
Its always obvious to me to narrow it down to two options but I end up just guessing??

Any insight?
texasARE

Postby Arcangle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm

This is a great idea. I failed this exam and when I went back I decided the best approach is to try to study every single category that ncarb lists as much as I can. I am currently reading Sun,wind, and light however I am looking for information that deals with the cost portion impact of site stuff.
Arcangle

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design