Prometric

Prometric

Postby mustgetlicense » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Why does prometric have a monopoly on A. R. E. testing of candidates? Their customer service is abysmal.
mustgetlicense

Re: Prometric

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

It's called a contract.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby thd7t » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 am

I disagree with this sentiment. I have had remarkable customer service from Prometric. I had an exam crash for about 40 minutes and Prometric was on the phone with their network provider and NCARB the entire time trying to sort it out. They kept me informed the entire time and made sure I understood my options. It turned out that the outage was NCARB's fault.
thd7t

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Two individuals reporting two differing experiences with Prometric. This seems common among testing candidates; some report a great experience while others had various troubles.

I personally had a very good experience on all six exams, but there is no denying the inconsistencies reported between the numerous testing locations. Some complaints tend toward the ridiculous, but many are much more significant. I tend to believe that the Prometric proctored system is mainly fair, but, given my very good experience, I do sympathize with those that had some truly unbelievable experiences.
Sarcasmo

Postby nickedemus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 am

I switched testing centers because the staff at the first testing center was horrible. Lots of people complained about them. I took four exams there--failed two--before I gave up on them. I took my last three exams at another testing center. The staff at the second testing center was very professional. They managed to do the same job without making you feel like a criminal. They didn't offer the ARE exams as frequently as the first place, though.
nickedemus

Postby mustgetlicense » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 am

You guys/ladies are absolutely right! It does come down to testing locations (I tried a few, always felt like a criminal) staff changes made during my exam process improved the experience a little. Also, different areas of the country have an impact people’s attitude. As per NCARBs contract, I think if they allowed a second or third testing center option, a little competition would help the situation. Good luck with the process everyone.
mustgetlicense

Postby boops » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 am

I only went to one testing center and had a great experience from day one. It was always the same friendly staff and I never felt like their service was lacking. If you can, I suggest switching testing centers and see if you get a better experience.

Also, the day and time you test can sometimes reflect the service you receive. I took one of my exams on a Saturday morning and it was terribly crowded. People were constantly being checked in and out, which was distracting at times. The staff was still friendly, but you could tell they were getting worn out by checking in/out people all morning.
boops

Postby architerp » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 pm

I went to the same test center for all exams and have had an easy time and a pleasant staff.

But their online/phone customer service is pretty terrible.
architerp

Postby jackstatic » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 am

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Prometric center in Westbury NY, but that is due purely to my own experiences of course, others may vary. I took my first 2 exams there while living within 10 minutes of the facility. I then moved in with my GF in the Bronx, and although there were closer centers, I took the 45 minute trip to Westbury due to the center just being a good testing environment and my being familiar with it. Then my GF and I got married and moved to suffolk county, again, there was a new test center 10 minutes from my new house but once again i continued to test in Westbury taking a 45 minute drive. I figured its been working out well, I know their specific policies and employees and they are a friendly group, no reason to use a new center and get stressed. Fortunately I am done with having to visit them.

If you are dissatisfied with this specific testing center are there any other options? In NY we have a few within reason, IDK where you live so this may be off the table, but it might be worth it to drive an hour to test for a better facility. A negative check in experience can absolutely ruin your mood and cause your mental state to be down and this can easily result in you not being focused on the test and might misread some questions or answer something wrong.
jackstatic

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION