FUNKAAR INSTITUTE

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

FUNKAAR INSTITUTE

Postby gjoseph2085 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 am

Hi. Has anyone taken classes with Funkar Institute - would like your thoughts on it, as it's very expensive and would like to know your take away from the classes. I am not asking for anything exam specifics or their class specifics, I just want to know overall thoughts on the class. Thank you.
gjoseph2085

Re: FUNKAAR INSTITUTE

Postby nickedemus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:14 pm

I took the whole 4.0 series in Spring/Summer 2016. I found it to be very helpful, but I am the kind of person who does well under pressure. She gives you a pretty tight study schedule and the classes are fast paced.

I didn't stick to her schedule due to some life events, but I did pass all of the tests in just over a year. I had never studied for or taken any of the tests before that.

I felt that the SS classes and the BS classes were weaker than her other offerings. I think part of the reason for this is that CDS, PPP, and SPD have a lot of overlap, and even BDSC overlaps a bit in some ways (I can't remember exactly how, though).

I did fail SPD and SD the first time around, but both failures were due to my own error:

In SPD, I passed all of the multiple choice and the grading vignette. But in the site planning vignette I forgot a whole element of the site plan! I tried squeezing it in during the last five minutes but to no avail. If I hadn't restarted the grading vignette, I probably would have had time.

For SD, it was another error where I missed something and ran out of time before I could fix it. This was on the building design program. They give you so much time that I just dillydallied and daydreamed. Then I noticed my error and and scrambled to shift everything around but once again the clock ran out. When I retook the test, I didn't allow myself to daydream and I double- and triple-checked the program. I finished the test with plenty of time remaining and felt a little paranoid about leaving early. But I did, and it was ok.
nickedemus

Re: FUNKAAR INSTITUTE

Postby gjoseph2085 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 am

nickedemus wrote:I took the whole 4.0 series in Spring/Summer 2016. I found it to be very helpful, but I am the kind of person who does well under pressure. She gives you a pretty tight study schedule and the classes are fast paced.

I didn't stick to her schedule due to some life events, but I did pass all of the tests in just over a year. I had never studied for or taken any of the tests before that.

I felt that the SS classes and the BS classes were weaker than her other offerings. I think part of the reason for this is that CDS, PPP, and SPD have a lot of overlap, and even BDSC overlaps a bit in some ways (I can't remember exactly how, though).

I did fail SPD and SD the first time around, but both failures were due to my own error:

In SPD, I passed all of the multiple choice and the grading vignette. But in the site planning vignette I forgot a whole element of the site plan! I tried squeezing it in during the last five minutes but to no avail. If I hadn't restarted the grading vignette, I probably would have had time.

For SD, it was another error where I missed something and ran out of time before I could fix it. This was on the building design program. They give you so much time that I just dillydallied and daydreamed. Then I noticed my error and and scrambled to shift everything around but once again the clock ran out. When I retook the test, I didn't allow myself to daydream and I double- and triple-checked the program. I finished the test with plenty of time remaining and felt a little paranoid about leaving early. But I did, and it was ok.

Thank you so much for your review and insight. Sounds like it's worth it, I am thinking about it. I just have to figure out financials. Much appreciate your time and view.
gjoseph2085

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE