What would you suggest?

What would you suggest?

Postby abbie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:20 pm

I am struggling with the exam. Maybe because its the fear of taking another exam or maybe becuase this subject matter is WAY over my head. Any suggestions on where to start? i have tried to read Jenny's notes, which usually is my go to reading....but I am feeling like i am reading another language. I have also been using designer hacks and have taken a few quizzes hoping to see if i know anything but i would love any advice on a good read for those who don't know much about building systems. I took the amber course 2 years ago and it was great....i just don't have the money to do that again.
please help!
abbie

Re: What would you suggest?

Postby boston2017 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Sorry, not the advice for you. I’m feeling the same. Just took PPD two weeks ago. Failed miserably. Haven’t taken the Amber yet. Case Studies were like impossible to solve... Don’t know what to study for site questions...
boston2017

Postby drummer03 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 am

I would refer to references listed on the ARE guide and stop relying more on Third party sources/notes etc.. You might have some of them but already:
-Architectural Studio Companion
-Building Constructions Illustrated
-Building Codes Illustrated
-Architectural Graphic Standards
You might also want to consider the MEEB (long read, skim through it) and the Sun, Wind, Light Book.
I failed PPD a few months ago after using Ballast and Arch prep. In my opinion they did not help at all. The sources mentioned above have been getting praised by everyone who has passed. I would the third party sources just for practice test and to feel how much you know.
I plan to take PPD in early march and taking PDD soon after that. So far in my studies I have found these primary sources are more relevant and they also relate to the PDD test. So in a sense I am studying for both.

Hope that helps
drummer03

Postby Sarcasmo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 am

I would refer to references listed on the ARE guide and stop relying more on Third party sources/notes etc..

drummer03 -- I agree with that statement, plus I like your list of study references -- all of which (except the ASC, which is also very useful) are on the 5.0 Handbook "essentials" list.

Personally, I would not suggest that anyone rely on third-party materials.
Sarcasmo

Postby thd7t » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 am

The main use I've found for third party resources is finding practice questions. Don't assume that these will be like those on the exam. Use them to find your deficiencies. Then study areas around your deficiencies from primary sources.
thd7t

Postby boops » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 am

thd7t wrote:The main use I've found for third party resources is finding practice questions. Don't assume that these will be like those on the exam. Use them to find your deficiencies. Then study areas around your deficiencies from primary sources.

This is exactly what I did for the 4.0 and 5.0. I spent most of my time taking practice exams and figuring out the certain areas I needed to focus on. Trying to read through MEEB or the Review manual seemed like a waste of time. However, I still used them as a primary source when the 3rd party explanation of the correct answer was terrible or I wanted to understand something in more detail.

I used the 4.0 Ballast practice exam books - someone at my firm had them, so they were free. Can't speak for any 5.0 3rd party practice exam materials.
boops

Postby boston2017 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:49 pm

-Architectural Studio Companion
-Building Constructions Illustrated
-Building Codes Illustrated
-Architectural Graphic Standards

Yes, I have those plus I added Desiger Hacks.

I had many site related questions on my PPD. I passed SPD using "Site planning and Design Handbook by Russ" without any problems, but my knowledge from SPD didn't help for PPD. I wonder from what sources NCARB taking to write those questions? Thinking about buying "Sun, Light, and Wind". Does the book really help for the environmental and site sections for PPD?

Also, if I failed PPDx2 and PDDx2, I might do it Amber Videos.

Again, any thoughts for "Sun, Light, and Wind"? I saw the coment by someone purchased saying that the book was just a waste of money... Anybody???

-boston
boston2017

Postby abbie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:40 pm

I REALLY appreciate all your feedback! I am going to see if i can get my hands on some of those study materials everyone mentioned. I never felt like the kaplan books were very helpful for me that's probably why I went to third party material. I do like designer hacks for the quizzes but I will start reading the other books. I just hope I understand it.
My biggest struggle is how much is too much to study? These books have so much info....I can't possibly learn it all within a 6-8 week time frame and take the test. everything i find says to not take more than 6-8 weeks to study per exam.
abbie

Postby cloudyy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:33 pm

abbie wrote:I can't possibly learn it all within a 6-8 week time frame and take the test. everything i find says to not take more than 6-8 weeks to study per exam.

Definitely not with that attitude! I just mean it's been done before so you can too. Its easy to get overwhelmed but you just have to put one foot in front of the other...

Everyone has different ways or methods of studying. I think the study strategies that have been posted so far are great (Ching BCI in particular is my bible, and great for a general overview to get started on studying). Also try searching on the forum for people who've passed the test and posted their study methods.
cloudyy

Postby abbie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am

cloudyy wrote:Definitely not with that attitude! I just mean it's been done before so you can too. Its easy to get overwhelmed but you just have to put one foot in front of the other..

Very true cloudyy. i agree that i need to take it one step at at time. I can easily get overwhelmed with these exams trying to be a mom and take tests.
my question was intended to be more "is there anything that i should just skim vs be able to put a HVAC unit together in my sleep" i have a tendency to over focus on items i should just familiarize myself with.

Again...i complete agree with you!
abbie

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 am

Abbie -- where are you at with the exams? did you transition?
Sarcasmo

Postby abbie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 pm

I have not officially transitioned but that is my plan. I have spent the last 10 years taking these exams....passing and failing and losing exams. Its been a constant battle but I am making my way! I have PPP, SPD, CDS, SD and BDCS all behind me. My BDCS rolling clock expires next month so i plan to transition. THe stress of HAVING to pass both BS and SS before July is not what I want. My goal is to finish PPD and PDD before then but knowing I have time brings my anxiety level down. I am not the best test taker. It took me 5 times to pass PPP. I took BS and SS a while ago and failed misserably. THat is why I am wanting to make sure i don't over analize the information.
abbie

Postby AREkiller » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Dont get too bummed about the exam, I have failed it twice and so did a couple other guys I know that are also taking the 5.0, its a very difficult test. I have been studying for this and PDD as one exam basically, as they are very similar. As for study methods:

- Building Con and Codes Illustrated, read both cover to cover, I have recognized material straight from the book on the exam.

- Brightwood, Great overview on every topic and has quizzes at the end of each section. You can also get access to 700 questions online with the book

- Ballast 4.0 or 5.0 they are basically the same exact book, feel like i wasted my money on the 5.0 version. Also covers every topic and great for a foundation of your studying materials

- MEEB is an absolute must, it literally covers every topic on the exam from lighting to acoustics to hvac. It has tons of information, way more than you ultimately will need but I have been skimming through and marking the relevant stuff

- I also bought Architectural Acoustics, David Egan. This book has a lot of good info as well but you could probably get by without it. I have been getting a ton of acoustics related questions and I wanted to ensure I have it covered for my next take.

- I would use Jennys notes more as a review after your done doing your own notes or studying. Its a good way to check that you covered everything.

-I would pass on the solar, wind light book. Me and a couple friends bought it expecting it to help alot and we were all disappointed. It is way too specific and gets into all kinds of charts and graphs. I didnt find much of the information helpful, and what was useful is also in the other books I mentioned.

- Case studies, I would be very familiar with what sections in the IBC contain certain information. The loading time for turning the pages can really wast a lot of time if your flipping back and forth because you dont know what section has egress info or occupancy requirements etc. If you know where to find certain things quickly, you will save a lot of valuable time. I would also start with the case study as well, as it is time consuming and on my first take, I started running out of time and rushing in order to finish at the end. Some of the questions will require the time and you definitely dont want to be pressing/rushing.

On my PPD fails, I got a ton of lighting, acoustics, structural concepts, and site planning/solar questions. Study those topics and know t them inside and out. A decent amount of HVAC related stuff but not as much as I would have liked, as it is an area I am confident in. As I said, its a very tough exam but hopefully 3rd time is a charm for me.
AREkiller

Postby boston2017 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 pm

AREkiller wrote:Dont get too bummed about the exam, I have failed it twice and so did a couple other guys I know that are also taking the 5.0, its a very difficult test. I have been studying for this and PDD as one exam basically, as they are very similar. As for study methods:

- Building Con and Codes Illustrated, read both cover to cover, I have recognized material straight from the book on the exam.

- Brightwood, Great overview on every topic and has quizzes at the end of each section. You can also get access to 700 questions online with the book

- Ballast 4.0 or 5.0 they are basically the same exact book, feel like i wasted my money on the 5.0 version. Also covers every topic and great for a foundation of your studying materials

- MEEB is an absolute must, it literally covers every topic on the exam from lighting to acoustics to hvac. It has tons of information, way more than you ultimately will need but I have been skimming through and marking the relevant stuff

- I also bought Architectural Acoustics, David Egan. This book has a lot of good info as well but you could probably get by without it. I have been getting a ton of acoustics related questions and I wanted to ensure I have it covered for my next take.

- I would use Jennys notes more as a review after your done doing your own notes or studying. Its a good way to check that you covered everything.

-I would pass on the solar, wind light book. Me and a couple friends bought it expecting it to help alot and we were all disappointed. It is way too specific and gets into all kinds of charts and graphs. I didnt find much of the information helpful, and what was useful is also in the other books I mentioned.

- Case studies, I would be very familiar with what sections in the IBC contain certain information. The loading time for turning the pages can really wast a lot of time if your flipping back and forth because you dont know what section has egress info or occupancy requirements etc. If you know where to find certain things quickly, you will save a lot of valuable time. I would also start with the case study as well, as it is time consuming and on my first take, I started running out of time and rushing in order to finish at the end. Some of the questions will require the time and you definitely dont want to be pressing/rushing.

On my PPD fails, I got a ton of lighting, acoustics, structural concepts, and site planning/solar questions. Study those topics and know t them inside and out. A decent amount of HVAC related stuff but not as much as I would have liked, as it is an area I am confident in. As I said, its a very tough exam but hopefully 3rd time is a charm for me.

AREKiller,

So you think "Sun, Light, Wind" was the waste of money. I had many site questions on my PPD. What materials are you using for environmental/site sections? I saw the comment saying "Sun, Light, Wind" was not a good book. He said that "Design with Climate by Victor Olgyay was better.

Anybody agree?
boston2017

Postby AREkiller » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Sun wind and Light has a ton of information in it but it is kind of tough to read, lots of charts and analysis based on charts/diagrams etc. I found that it had way too much and way too specific information in it. Some of the charts and diagrams are also hard to follow or understand exactly what they are showing. It doesnt hurt to have it, but I didnt read anything new in the book that I hadnt already read in other study material. I have been getting a ton of site planning related (solar/climate/wind) questions as well, thats what prompted me to buy the book. You can find all of the info you need and more in Ballast, Brightwood, building Con illustrated, and MEEB. MEEB actually has a surprising amount of info on this subject matter, and in my opinion is a must own/read for this exam. Building Con Illustrated also has some material that I recognized on the actual exam, so I would read that book cover to cover.I am not familiar with the other book you mentioned, but personally, at this point, I am not buying anymore books. Between books and the exam fees, Id have a pretty decent down payment on a car by now :lol:
AREkiller

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design