Scratch Paper for 5.0 Exam *UPDATE with NCARB Policy

Scratch Paper for 5.0 Exam *UPDATE with NCARB Policy

Postby tatamin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Last time, when I took the 4.0 exam in October, 2017. The testing center administrator gave me just one piece of 11x17 paper (folded in the middle) to be used during the exam. Then I switched to the new scratch paper (11x17) when I took the vignette.

Since we no longer have a vignette, I wonder what kind of scratch paper we will get at the testing center. I’m thinking about doing MC + Case Study and come back for reviewing all the questions after taking a 15 min-break. That means I still need the scratch paper(s)/info from both MC + Case Study. I feel just one piece of 11x17 paper is not enough.

Let me know your experience.

Thank you so much!

-tatamin
Last edited by tatamin on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatamin

Re: Scratch Paper for 5.0 Exam

Postby Digitx » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:58 pm

I believe you can ask for more if you need it
Digitx

Postby tatamin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Digitx wrote:I believe you can ask for more if you need it

They said they can give me a new scratch paper, but can't keep the original one - it means
I can keep only one sheet (new or old). It used to be likea 6-8 page-booklet, but they said NCARB reduced the pages for a security reason. I wonder for 5.0??????

-tatamin
tatamin

Postby ina123 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi tatamin,

I have taken 4 exams in 5.0 so far and each time I was given, as you mentioned, an 11x17 paper folded in half. I do believe that you can have more if you need it, but I am not sure if they take away your original scratch paper if you do. Have you tried contacting NCARB in the ARE 5 community boards? They might be able to give you some info on that one.

Good luck!
ina123

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Do as ina123 suggested and see if there is supposed to be an NCARB standard. My testing location gave me a different amount of scratch paper for each of the six 5.0 exams. It started off with about 5 full sheets stapled together, but by the time I took the last one (PDD in my case) I was getting about a fourth as much. Interesting, too -- I started with CE and made copious (and likely useless) notes -- by the time I took PDD, I hardly used the scratch paper at all.
Sarcasmo

Postby tatamin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:46 pm

Sarcasmo wrote:Do as ina123 suggested and see if there is supposed to be an NCARB standard. My testing location gave me a different amount of scratch paper for each of the six 5.0 exams. It started off with about 5 full sheets stapled together, but by the time I took the last one (PDD in my case) I was getting about a fourth as much. Interesting, too -- I started with CE and made copious (and likely useless) notes -- by the time I took PDD, I hardly used the scratch paper at all.

Sorry, not getting back to you sooner. I just took PPD - my first 5.0 Exam - last week.

The test admin gave me only one sheet of 11x17 paper for PPD. Again, they explained NCARB allows for a tester to have one sheet of scratch paper (new or old - means you can ask for a new blank paper but can't keep the original one.) The test admin also said NCARB reduced the pages because of the security reason.

I have a tendency to use many pages for checking, writing down time to manage timing, memo, etc. Or like you said we don't need it for 5.0.

I will ask NCARB Moderators at the NCARB Community what is the standard for scratch paper. Maybe it's already written in the guideline. I don't know. If I get more info, I will post an update here.

Thank you for your advice!

-tatamin
tatamin

Re: Scratch Paper for 5.0 Exam *UPDATE with NCARB Policy

Postby tatamin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi,

I asked in the NCARB 5.0 Community and got the response back from the NCARB Moderator. So the NCARB standard is 4-page scratch paper booklet. We should get this type of scratch paper no matter which Prometic Test Center we take the ARE exams. You can report if you think your testing center is deviating from the policy.

The link to the post: https://are5community.ncarb.org/hc/en-u ... 0000142608
And the below is her response with the policy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joan NCARB
Yesterday at 18:55

Tatamin,

The following is NCARB's policy, which Prometric is to follow, regarding scratch paper used during the exam. If you find your test center is deviating from this policy, please notify NCARB's Customer Service at customerservice@ncarb.org or 202-879-0520. If you post on this thread regarding the scratch paper you've received prior to an ARE administration, you don't need to contact Customer Service, as I've already made note of it. I'm following up with Prometric on this issue, as NCARB's policies are to be consistent across all test centers. Thank you.

"One scratch paper booklet is given to each NCARB candidate. This booklet contains 4 pages of paper. The paper may be replaced upon request. The candidate is to turn the first booklet into the Test Center Administrator prior to receiving the second booklet."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tatamin

Re: Scratch Paper for 5.0 Exam *UPDATE with NCARB Policy

Postby thd7t » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:06 pm

This looks like the single folded 11x17 is compliant with the NCARB requirements, then.
thd7t

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design