Architects Practice Act

Architects Practice Act

Postby LindsayKing » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm

I have a question regarding the Architects Practice Act (ks#22, page 158, twe 2015). The Architect's Practice Act talks about exemptions for various other professionals. Can you explain what they are exempt from? If you are practicing the profession you are registered and not calling yourself an architect, why are you even included in the practice act or why would you need an exemption?

Also, if anyone knows of a good breakdown / simplification of the Practice Act (really anything they've found useful), I'd love to know!

Thanks!
LindsayKing

Re: Architects Practice Act

Postby gbalaka » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 pm

All the exemption states is that a contractor or engineer can't call themselves an architect (and vice versa really).

Do you have a study guide for this exam?
There are a few: The Whole Enchilada by David Doucette and there's also one by Archilbald Woo. I am sure there are others. Those are the ones I used. I recommend both in the order given.
gbalaka

Postby LindsayKing » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 pm

I'm using TWE study guide.

The APA defines an architect is sometime who is licenses to practice architecture - which by definition means not a contractor or engineer. Why would a contractor or engineer need an exemption? Or what is the exemption from?
LindsayKing

Postby Coach » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 pm

LindsayKing wrote:Why would a contractor or engineer need an exemption? Or what is the exemption from?

Basically, they're exempt from prohibitions. They can do some things that non-architects can't do.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to CALIFORNIA SUPPLEMENTAL EXAM