Do I take PA?

Do I take PA?

Postby DANIIFACE » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:05 pm

I finally passed CDS and PPP and now I am deciding if I should hold off on transitioning and take SPD before it goes away in June or just transition now and take PA? I'm leaning towards PA. I took SPD two years ago and failed a lot of the MC and the site design vignette which I felt was a nightmare... nothing like any of the practice problems I did.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
DANIIFACE

Re: Do I take PA?

Postby Coach » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:26 pm

You need 3 either way, so I'd transition now.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby DANIIFACE » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:35 am

Thank you Coach, I think that's what I am going to do. Most people are suggesting I stick with 4.0 and take SPD I think that's because a lot of people think you should avoid transitioning at all costs. I'm going to do it eventually so I might as well just do it now and get it over with?
DANIIFACE

Postby Ruby » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:03 pm

I hear a lot of time issues with PA and there is a lot of PPP overlap, but there's also no vignettes, sooo it's a toss up either way. Transitioning means you don't have to worry about that big 30 June deadline. That's worth a lot in my book, but also, having passed PPP and CDS, why not take a shot at SPD and see how you do? There IS plenty of time to retake it if you don't pass.
Ruby

Postby DANIIFACE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 am

I think I'm ok with PPP overlap, doesn't that make it a little easier since I just passed PPP? I have seen a few posts complaining about too much overlap with PPP but I think being tested on something I already have a handle of should reduce the stress? I have also read of time issues with the PA exam though so that is something to look out for.
DANIIFACE

Postby thd7t » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:33 am

DANIIFACE wrote:I think I'm ok with PPP overlap, doesn't that make it a little easier since I just passed PPP? I have seen a few posts complaining about too much overlap with PPP but I think being tested on something I already have a handle of should reduce the stress? I have also read of time issues with the PA exam though so that is something to look out for.

If you're comfortable with PPP, it makes PA much more manageable. I took PA without taking SPD (Passed CDS and PPP). Study SPD material and you'll be in good shape. Look over the PA study info from NCARB. Some parts of PPP are not important, here.
thd7t

Postby kerzzo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:10 am

I am not being pessimistic, but i thought PA would be easier having passed PPP, ---however, it took me 3 tries to pass PPP--just be cautious unless you found PPP to be a walk in the park---and it may take me the same on PA because there is overlap among SD, PPP and SPD with very minor hints of BDSC, SS, BS--- it is even a larger overlap that existed on 4.0 between PPP, CDS.
I tried to accelerate by transitioning right away---since you're against the clock it seems easier to just go for it, but as someone here said, it wouldnt hurt to try one mroe time for SPD---coach is also right and there is no right or wrong, it will be 3 tests at the end, it's about how you will face the situation.
kerzzo

Return to PA - Programming & Analysis