vignette 3.1 & 4.0 Attempt #1

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

vignette 3.1 & 4.0 Attempt #1

Postby bladeyoon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi,

I will be having my first CDS exam right before Christmas and hoping to pass, so that I will be done with 3 4.0 exams by the end of this year and move onto 5.0 next year! :)

If anyone could give some feedback on this, I will be grateful!

Thank you!

* First two images are 4.0 Vignette (second image is zoom in version)
* Last image is 3.1 Vignette
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bladeyoon

Re: vignette 3.1 & 4.0 Attempt #1

Postby greenHandle23 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Hello,

Everything looks pretty solid:
I have been studying (with several family and life interruptions) for CDS now for about 8 months! I have watched and reviewed allot of the CDS Building Section vignette's, however I still am learning myself - so just consider what my comments are and proceed with further research and proof on your own.

First potential issue - Within the vignette attempt using 3.1 software, it appears your fire wall is drawn correctly, however the horizontal breaks are not evident . Your drop ceiling should stop and not penetrate through the fire wall otherwise this would be a gap in the fire wall.

Second potential issue - Within the vignette attempt using 4.0 software, your largest duct should touch the bottom of the bar joists (bottom chord), as I have reviewed this through the NCARB CDS vignette - see program questions (#8) "All ducts are placed below the joists", see also program note (#7). The smaller duct can float dose not have to touch the bottom chords. Remember to leave no wiggle room in this assembly between the FF and the drop ceiling.

Let me know if this is of concern or not, hopefully it helped?
greenHandle23

Postby thd7t » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:57 pm

greenHandle23 wrote:Hello,

I have been studying (with several family and life interruptions) for CDS now for about 8 months! I have watched and reviewed allot of the CDS Building Section vignette's, however I still am learning myself - so just consider what my comments are and proceed with further research and proof on your own.

First potential issue - Within the vignette attempt using 3.1 software, it appears your fire wall is drawn correctly, however the horizontal breaks are not evident . Your drop ceiling should stop and not penetrate through the fire wall otherwise this would be a gap in the fire wall.

Second potential issue - Within the vignette attempt using 4.0 software, your largest duct should touch the bottom of the bar joists (bottom chord), as I have reviewed this through the NCARB CDS vignette - see program questions (#8) "All ducts are placed below the joists", see also program note (#7). The smaller duct can float dose not have to touch the bottom chords. Remember to leave no wiggle room in this assembly between the FF and the drop ceiling.

These are good notes, but make sure to watch the NCARB video on the vignette. I believe that they directly state that the duct can be anywhere in the space below the joist but above the light area. I also think they address whether the ceiling can be continuous.
thd7t

Postby bladeyoon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 pm

thd7t wrote:
greenHandle23 wrote:Hello,

These are good notes, but make sure to watch the NCARB video on the vignette. I believe that they directly state that the duct can be anywhere in the space below the joist but above the light area. I also think they address whether the ceiling can be continuous.

Thank you so much for your feedbacks, greenHandle23 and thd7t!

Right! I believe I did not separate the ceiling where the fire walls are! Super good point!
I just checked the NCARB Vignette video.. They are incomplete. They stop right after showing how to adjust the joint..
I have also been looking around the forums and other vignette videos, and seems like most people say that it is okay as long as it's within the maximum duct spacing. But I would try to get it closer to the joint side with maybe 1-2 snap gap just to be safe.

Thanks again! I am more worried about MC parts now as I figured there are more to read to cover different parts + go over again the materials that I already went over once to know deeper! :cry:
As always, these exams are not easy at all, but keep pushing until the exam date and give everything I've got! ;)
bladeyoon

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES