RTU Placement

RTU Placement

Postby tmston2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:25 am

Can some one point me to a resource that governs rtu placement? I have looked through all bdcs, bs, googled, & bci & still cant find criteria for rtu placement?
Thanks all
tmston2

Re: RTU Placement

Postby Coach » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Doesn't the R stand for remote? Seems to me it can go anywhere.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby tmston2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:15 pm

It was my understanding the R in rtu stood for roof top unit.
tmston2

Postby thd7t » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 am

RTU's should be placed centrally, if possible, to reduce distance of main supply and return runs. Central location will frequently result in lower visibility as well. However, if noise is a factor or there is a large structural span, they may have to be located differently.
thd7t

Postby jtmack35 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:41 am

thd7t wrote:RTU's should be placed centrally, if possible, to reduce distance of main supply and return runs. Central location will frequently result in lower visibility as well. However, if noise is a factor or there is a large structural span, they may have to be located differently.

Should there be any consideration for placing the unit away from roof vents, such as the plumbing stack vent? I assume you'd want your RTU placed away from any sources of foul-smelling air, but I haven't been able to find any "best practices" in such a scenario.
jtmack35

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 am

jtmack35 wrote:
thd7t wrote:RTU's should be placed centrally, if possible, to reduce distance of main supply and return runs. Central location will frequently result in lower visibility as well. However, if noise is a factor or there is a large structural span, they may have to be located differently.

Should there be any consideration for placing the unit away from roof vents, such as the plumbing stack vent? I assume you'd want your RTU placed away from any sources of foul-smelling air, but I haven't been able to find any "best practices" in such a scenario.

RTU placement usually takes priority. Plumbing vents can be moved easily.
Sparky83

Postby jtmack35 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am

Sparky83 wrote:
jtmack35 wrote:

Gotcha. So for the sake of argument...let's say I'm adding a new RTU to an existing building. Plumbing vents are already installed in the roof...should I avoid them? Any kind of clearance I should shoot for? Or does the RTU still take priority?
jtmack35

Postby Coach » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 pm

If the unit has a fresh air intake then yes, it must be away from any bad air source (pvent, flue, exhaust, etc.). Mechanical code addresses that.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby rgharvey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 am

jtmack35 wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:
jtmack35 wrote:

Gotcha. So for the sake of argument...let's say I'm adding a new RTU to an existing building. Plumbing vents are already installed in the roof...should I avoid them? Any kind of clearance I should shoot for? Or does the RTU still take priority?

I imagine that a test question would ask you to place an RTU in relation to existing elements, while also referencing a plan diagram that indicates wind direction or other environmental factors
rgharvey

Postby schwein » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 pm

so in terms of the intake and exhaust, should the intake be facing away from the wind direction or towards it? this goes hand in hand with where the RTU should be placed in relation to the plumbing vents and other types of vents.
schwein

Postby max8176 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:33 pm

So RTU should avoid the vents but still be placed as close to the center of the building as possible I assume from common sense?
max8176

Postby Hello » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:04 pm

A project architect for a multifamily project told me once to locate them above common areas. In this instance that was the corridor and lobbies. His theory was that if they generated any noise they wouldn't disturb the units. I've never seen that in writing anywhere though...
Hello

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation