PASS! And, done. See ya A.R.E.

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

PASS! And, done. See ya A.R.E.

Postby sidehiller » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Passed first time- ARE is done and dusted!
Here is what I reviewed and studied:
Keep in mind I have 10 years in the industry in a small residential firm.
- NCARB 3.1,4.0 and Sajjad Alt. Vignettes (did this about 3- 4 times) Always the first time is blind with no knowledge of how others had solved it.
- Buy ARE Coaches video "Structural Layout Playbook " and follow the instructions to the letter. Do nothing outside of what he suggests and don't bother with any other study of the vignette.
-Jenny's Notes: Light skim for topics I wasn't familiar with.
-FEMA chapter 1,4,5,8 and 9.
Buildings at Risk- Wind Design Basics for Architects
Thaddeus! I can't recommend the Online at Your Pace seminars enough. This was my mainstay in studying and it was worth every cent in theory and critical thinking of structural design. Also, a great refresher from steel, wood and concrete structures from college. Page numbers and references were the wrong pages, so don't be confused. Its all there, you just have to look for it.
http://www.davidthaddeus.com/membership
- NALSA flash cards were a good way to introduce the topics and practice the calculations and theory from Thaddeus.
- NCARB provided reference material- make sure you can solve questions using the equations. David Thaddeus will direct you on the material, but download and reference from NCARB.
- NCARB 3.1 and 4.0 Practice Quizes was essential to understand the format of the test.
- Since I used the Brightwood study guide for the CDS, BS and passed, I used it again for SS. The quizzes and exam was great in preparing. A lot of math, so go through the Thaddeus content first.
Good luck all!
sidehiller

Re: PASS! And, done. See ya A.R.E.

Postby Coach » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm

sidehiller wrote:- Buy ARE Coaches video "Structural Layout Playbook " and follow the instructions to the letter. Do nothing outside of what he suggests and don't bother with any other study of the vignette.

Well that bears repeating! :D

Thank you, I'm glad it helped.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS