Vignette 4.0

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette 4.0

Postby pcare » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi,

Please see attached for my first attempt at the 4.0 vignette. Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Vignette.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pcare

Re: Vignette 4.0

Postby STL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:36 pm

I just made my first attempt at this vignette after studying Dorf.
Our solutions are almost identical. Just a few differences.
1. I used 4 columns along the North wall of the Common Area. I like how you only used 3. That is much more efficient.
2. This also makes for a symmetrical placement of your middle column on the South wall which seems to work well.
3. However - Don't forget to carry this middle column on the South wall of the upper level down to the foundation on the lower level. I don't think columns can bear on beams.
4. Question: I did not put a beam on the first floor at the West side of the Covered Entry (East side of Common area), but I see that you did. It is not needed for joist bearing on the 1st floor, so did you add it to carry the weight of the upper wall? Do we need to do that?

Thanks, and good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STL

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Upper column not carried down. Move upper column at shop 2 to northwest corner of shop 2.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:22 pm

STL wrote:2. This also makes for a symmetrical placement of your middle column on the South wall which seems to work well.

Doesn't work.

3. However - Don't forget to carry this middle column on the South wall of the upper level down to the foundation on the lower level. I don't think columns can bear on beams.

Correct.

4. Question: I did not put a beam on the first floor at the West side of the Covered Entry (East side of Common area), but I see that you did. It is not needed for joist bearing on the 1st floor, so did you add it to carry the weight of the upper wall? Do we need to do that?

Yes and yes.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS