Please clarify VE and contract 14.4.2

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Please clarify VE and contract 14.4.2

Postby hllARE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 am

I tried to understand the following, if someone could explain to me..
Question 1:
Does architect get paid for Value Engineering? Does it happen after DD stage? (I thought it happened after DD in my experience, but AHPP shows after CD, the estimate)

Question 2:
A201, 14.4.2 Termination By the Owner for Convenience
Upon receipt of written notice from the Owner...contractor shall
2. take actions necessary, or that the owner may direct, for the protection and preservation of the work
3. ..

What does it mean on item 2? to wrap up what he/ she is doing?

Sorry, English is my second language. I might have misunderstanding the statements. I appreciate if someone could explain to me. Thank you so much in advance.
hllARE

Re: Please clarify VE and contract 14.4.2

Postby ccolley12 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:23 am

Question #1: Typically contracts between owners and architects required the design to be on-budget at each milestone phase (SD, DD, CD) and so often the architect is not paid for Value Engineering. Some contracts though, require some form of Value Engineering to occur regardless of if the project is over budget or not. So, in that instance, Value Engineering would be part of basic services and in essence the architect would be paid for VE.

Question #2: Yes, basically whatever work is in place that would need to be either finished or protected, the contractor would need to do that at the direction of the owner.
ccolley12

Re: Please clarify VE and contract 14.4.2

Postby hllARE » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks, ccolley12
hllARE

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES