PPD vs PDD - Which to take first

PPD vs PDD - Which to take first

Postby toshea13 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Hello all!

I'm going to start prepping for PPD and PDD. Which exam should I take first (I need an ego boost) and how far apart should I take these exams?

*I have taken PPP, CDS, and PA*
toshea13

Re: PPD vs PDD - Which to take first

Postby ekelsey15 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:25 am

I took PPD first and then PDD several weeks after. From what I understood the PPD test in more vague (Concepts) and PDD was a bit more in depth (practice). That being said they weren't that far off from each other in my experience. I read and re-read stuff like Building Construction Illustrated and such until I felt like I wasn't even paying attention. The last test (PDD) I hardly studied for because I felt like all the studying I did prior was enough.
ekelsey15

Postby _interstitial » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:22 am

Are there free study materials for this? I know Brightwood has a bunch that you can pay for.
_interstitial

Postby boops » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:00 pm

_interstitial wrote:Are there free study materials for this? I know Brightwood has a bunch that you can pay for.

Use the convenient search bar in the upper right corner to search this forum... your question has been answered many times.

Use the NCARB 5.0 Handbook that has a reference matrix towards the end. The matrix provides you with all the approved reference material that can be used broken down by test. If you work at a decent size firm, you can usually find most of the materials listed in the matrix from coworkers.

Handbook: https://www.ncarb.org/sites/default/files/ARE5-Handbook.pdf

Also, use the NCARB 5.0 community forum and search for your question. This post in particular might help: https://are5community.ncarb.org/hc/en-us/community/posts/115008306328-Post-test-elation-Resouces-for-PPD-
boops

Postby boops » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm

toshea13 wrote:Hello all!
I'm going to start prepping for PPD and PDD. Which exam should I take first (I need an ego boost) and how far apart should I take these exams?
*I have taken PPP, CDS, and PA*

I have passed CDS, PPP & SPD. I am taking PPD in a few weeks. I chose PPD first because it is more concepts, while PDD is more practice/in depth.

My strategy for when I take the test is to hopefully pass PPD and then give myself a week to review, then take PDD. The tests are similar enough that it makes sense to take them close together. What doesn't make sense is to take them a day apart. If you fail PPD and then take PDD the next day, are you really prepared to pass PDD? I will schedule PDD once I pass or fail PPD. That way if I do fail I can schedule PDD closer to my retake date for PPD and take my time to really nail down the areas I need to study.
boops

Postby _interstitial » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:55 pm

boops wrote:
_interstitial wrote:Are there free study materials for this? I know Brightwood has a bunch that you can pay for.

Use the convenient search bar in the upper right corner to search this forum... your question has been answered many times.

Use the NCARB 5.0 Handbook that has a reference matrix towards the end. The matrix provides you with all the approved reference material that can be used broken down by test. If you work at a decent size firm, you can usually find most of the materials listed in the matrix from coworkers.

Handbook: https://www.ncarb.org/sites/default/files/ARE5-Handbook.pdf

Also, use the NCARB 5.0 community forum and search for your question. This post in particular might help: https://are5community.ncarb.org/hc/en-us/community/posts/115008306328-Post-test-elation-Resouces-for-PPD-

THANKS! Will do. I'm on the NCARB site, just wrapping up SPD prep, wanted to overlap a bit.

Greatly appreciate your assistance boops!
Last edited by _interstitial on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_interstitial

Postby _interstitial » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:01 pm

boops wrote:Use the NCARB 5.0 Handbook that has a reference matrix towards the end.

Have that. Useful but not what I had intended.

boops wrote:If you work at a decent size firm, you can usually find most of the materials listed in the matrix from coworkers.

Unemployed, but I'll reach out to them.

boops wrote:Also, use the NCARB 5.0 community forum and search for your question. This post in particular might help: https://are5community.ncarb.org/hc/en-us/community/posts/115008306328-Post-test-elation-Resouces-for-PPD-

This summary gives a sense of what I had in mind; mainly I was hoping for practice exams. I infer they're in there somewhere.
_interstitial

Postby boops » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:36 pm

_interstitial wrote:This summary gives a sense of what I had in mind; mainly I was hoping for practice exams. I infer they're in there somewhere.

You have to pay for practice questions from Ballast, Brightwood, etc. BE CAUTIOUS! NCARB does not currently review or recommend any third-party study materials. Also, since the test is still newish, who knows if what Ballast and Brightwood offer actually reflect the exam...

Try your local AIA chapter. They might have a lending library or something for ARE study material.
boops

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:33 pm

boops wrote:
_interstitial wrote: who knows if what Ballast and Brightwood offer actually reflect the exam...

Try your local AIA chapter. They might have a lending library or something for ARE study material.

Ummm, Me for one...I took both PPD and PDD and the practice tests by ballast are pretty close for many of the questions. The problem is that there's still a bunch of "best guess" hypotheticals that ncarb makes up, but at least you can capitalize on the more logical type questions. Have you ever used the "ARE sample Problems" by ballast? I'd strongly urge you to at least get BS, BDCS, SPD and PPP...Unfortunately, there are no case studies questions, but at least the there's close to 200-400 pretty solid MC. In fact, a few were almost identical on the test. Just my 2 cents...
vrcat25

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION