Question about what position to apply for...

Question about what position to apply for...

Postby lule99 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:31 am

Guys;
Just finished my exams... and trying to look for a job now.
what level do you guys think would be the best fit for me?
I wonder if I would be considered a level 1 architect since I just got my license...
Before getting the license I had 10 years of experience as intern... really good at design but need some supervision in doing construction details. Never really been project manager but I worked on big schools w/no supervision all the way through construction documents phase. Also no experience in budgeting or planning...
I am trying to figure in what bracket should I place myself to be able to negotiate compensation with prospective employer...Do not want to sell myself too high or too short...
Any help would be really appreciated...
lule99

Re: Question about what position to apply for...

Postby boops » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:44 am

The AIA has a great salary calculator that you can use to determine what you should be paid based on experience and geographic location. Once you select a position there is a description of responsibilities and typical compensation.

Salary calculator here: http://info.aia.org/salary/

Based on your short description of experience I would put you in an Architect 2 position. With your experience, I suggest applying to more design based firms. Also, don't be afraid to apply for a job that seems out of your reach just because you are missing experience. Firms like employees who want to learn and grow. If you can get an interview it allows you the opportunity to pitch the value that you will bring to the firm. Tell your story.

Hope this helps.
boops

Postby lule99 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 am

Thank you sooo much, that helps!!! :)
lule99

Postby Coach » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Don't get hung up on titles. Every firm seems to have their own ideas about what they mean.
Also, unless you're really into the big corporate scene, I wouldn't consider working at any firm that advertises for an architect with a number behind it.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby kerzzo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:21 am

Coach wrote:Don't get hung up on titles. Every firm seems to have their own ideas about what they mean.
Also, unless you're really into the big corporate scene, I wouldn't consider working at any firm that advertises for an architect with a number behind it.

i strongly agree with Coach...a lot of the big firms promote hierarchies that mean nothing to the candidate except been passed around like draftsmen and your license most likely hold no bearing on salary and task/responsibility
kerzzo

Postby rwwon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Agree about the elaborate hierarchy of names and numbers. Watched a firm whose personnel didn't feel like they knew where they were at in terms of the ladder climbing, so the firm instituted all these positions. You ask me, it's a superficial way to make people feel like they are growing, but i guess you can't get mad if you don't get a raise because you didn't get bumped up from architect I to architect II.
rwwon

Postby lynn2000 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm

I passed all the exams, then passed exams to get LEED AP BD+C, still have a few hundred hours to finish IDP. Have been searching jobs for a few months, seems to be very hard. I am currently located in Honolulu, not sure if it is because the island doesn't have a big market, might have to located back to mainland. Which states have better architect job market?
lynn2000

Postby Coach » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 pm

lynn2000 wrote:Which states have better architect job market?

https://www.buildingsolutions.com/indus ... te-and-msa
Coach
Site Admin

Postby mollad » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:50 am

Coach wrote:Don't get hung up on titles. Every firm seems to have their own ideas about what they mean.

This says everything in few words.
mollad

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION