Knowing the Specifications Divisions

Building Section Vignette and Multiple Choice

Knowing the Specifications Divisions

Postby Futurearch88 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:11 am

To what extent do you have to know and memorize the 49 division numbers and titles used in the CSI?

I can memorize the division titles, and perhaps understand Division 00 & 01. I also understand what sorts of things are found in each category, but certainly not all categories.

Can someone provide me with some direction on what to focus on here? I want to make sure I am not diminishing returns with studying.

Thanks!!
Futurearch88

Re: Knowing the Specifications Divisions

Postby 20grit » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:17 am

Know the divisions of the older 16 division version. Then it doesn't hurt to know the basic MEP divisions of the new format. You won't need to know a whole lot more than that.
20grit

Postby esagun » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 am

IMO: Knowing the older 16 Division may lead to mistakes:

Divs, 02, 15 and 16 have changed.

15 and 16 are open for future expansion under the new format.
MEP are now under the 20's
31,32 and 32 cover Earthwork, Exterior Improvements and Utilities.

I understand this test is regarding the current format.

Going back to the original post, The Architect has to be familiar with the new format Divisions.
esagun

Postby Furious Vegas » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Unless you are feeling confident about your knowledge of every other subject for this exam I wouldn't spend more than one minute trying to memorize old or new division specs. I think my exam either had one or two questions about specs divisions, and the answer was probably Division One. I can't recite the divisions at all, yet I am glad I didn't even try. The one area I felt weak after the exam having studied Kaplan, Ballast and the AIA docs was the code and ADA. If you have time to try memory tasks, make sure you know minimum clearances, heights, slopes, etc. There must have been 5-10 of those kinds of questions which I thought doomed me.
Furious Vegas

Postby pjreale » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:14 am

More importantly know the difference between division 0 and 1. Questions on spec sections normally are worded like : where would you find this in the specifications? And the answer would be "division 9 finishes" they normally give you division number and description.
pjreale

Postby hnQ_9999 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:47 pm

pjreale wrote:More importantly know the difference between division 0 and 1. Questions on spec sections normally are worded like : where would you find this in the specifications? And the answer would be "division 9 finishes" they normally give you division number and description.

No way, jose...
Not to expose test contents, but I think they will ask what belong to where.
You better remember at least the old 16 divisions (except the changes) because I do not think
they would ask something so far off. The most confusing divisions are special construction,
equipment and specialties. Other divisions you can guess with confidence (not the division numbers).
hnQ_9999

Postby rustymitten » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:43 am

hnQ_9999 can you elaborate because it seems you are giving really poor advice. Common sense would tell me to steer clear of the old division format and focus on the new 0-49 Masterformat. As previously posted, I think it would be wise to know the difference between division 0 and 1 and the makeup of these divisions, be familiar with divisions 2-14, and generally know where electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire suppression land in the numbering sequence. Anything beyond that I think is overkill. I would also understand the format of each specification division, i.e. PART 1 GENERAL, PART 2 PRODUCTS, PART 3 EXECUTION.

That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth!
rustymitten

Postby pjreale » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:17 am

you will definitely be asked where certain information goes in a spec section, for instance where do operation manuals go (part 1 2 or 3).
pjreale

Postby harper1980 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 am

I recently took and passed the MP portion of this exam. The nigh before I crammed memorizing the different divisions, and it didn't show up on my test. What did show up a few times were the different PARTS of a spec i.e. PART 1. general PART 2. product PART 3. execution. I got at least two questions where they described a scenario and asked which of the 3 parts it falls under.

I would agree though that it doesn't hurt to memorize the first 12 or so divisions It was easy to memorize because it follows more or less the sequence of how a building is constructed.
harper1980

Postby Quigaboo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:13 am

I memorized all of the divisions and their basic content. I did find that was overkill in my case. I really only had 1 question pertaining to CSI and it was something to the effect of "In what division of the CSI would you find the specification for_______?" (This is NOT an exact question nor am I giving the material or possible answers)

Not something I would spend a ton of time on if I had to do it again.
Quigaboo

Postby ARCH09 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:10 am

Where would O&M manual go? My guess is Part 1- General?
ARCH09

Postby jhui » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:50 pm

I think operation manual is in Part 1- General or 01 General Requirements, can someone confirm?
jhui

Postby ccolley12 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:47 am

The overall O&M requirements of the contract are typically found in Div. 01. It is very general and defines things like how many copies the owner is to receive and what format (hard copies in binders vs. PDFs on a CD or thumb drive, etc.) The more specific information required for each product or piece of equipment will be found in the individual specification sections themselves. Those requirements are in part 3 of a 3 part specification.

I have been working in a traditional architecture office as well as for a General Contractor for years before taking my exams and so I had the benefit of memorizing/learning the CSI divisions over time. I don't think memorizing the divisions is worthwhile... knowing that concrete and steel come early (division 3 and 5 respectively) and that finishes and specialties are in the middle and then MEP and Civil/Landscape is towards the end.. you should be OK.

For any 3 part specification, part 1 is general and includes abbreviations, definitions and references to trade standards and warranty requirements. Part 2 is the products and associated accessories and Part 3 is about execution of the work.

Hope this helps.
ccolley12

Postby cma52572 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:07 am

A lot of stuff has moved in the new format! Ive been studying it for days. One category thats hard for me is 21--fire suppression. So much of the fire stuff is still in 07 but some has moved to 21.

And plumbing. Now that there is a category called "utilities". My Kaplan book says sanitary lines are utilities aka 33, but I see them listed under 22 in other places. If anyone can distinguish exactly what would be an example of utilities that would be great.

Also some electrical stuff has been moved around.
cma52572

Postby thd7t » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:01 am

cma52572 wrote:A lot of stuff has moved in the new format! Ive been studying it for days. One category thats hard for me is 21--fire suppression. So much of the fire stuff is still in 07 but some has moved to 21.

And plumbing. Now that there is a category called "utilities". My Kaplan book says sanitary lines are utilities aka 33, but I see them listed under 22 in other places. If anyone can distinguish exactly what would be an example of utilities that would be great.

Also some electrical stuff has been moved around.

Utilities are outside of the building's envelope (with exceptions). Look at a CD set and see where the work hands off from your MEP engineers to your Civil Engineers and it should be pretty clear.
thd7t

Return to CDS - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS & SERVICES