SS Vignette - Questions/Considerations

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

SS Vignette - Questions/Considerations

Postby SDTK » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Hello,
I'm studying the SS vignette right now, just have a couple of questions...

1. Do we ALWAYS assume beams span a max of 40'-0"? Where does this figure come from? Has it ever changed?

2. Same question for the joists' 30'-0" max span... is this ALWAYS the max? Is this info taken from the NCARB vignettte video? I do not see it in the program, seems like very important info to be left out, or only mentioned in the NCARB introductory video.

3. What is the purpose of telling us where the clerestory window is located? Just to make sure we propose a beam for joist support on the upper floor in that location, instead of proposing a bearing wall? Seems too easy.

4. What is the purpose of offering bearing walls at all, if beams/columns can always be used in the same locations? Is there any advantage to proposing bearing walls on the ground floor where applicable, instead of a beam? Is it assumed bearing walls are cheaper/stronger structurally, and we should utilize them (especially on exterior walls) instead of beams wherever we can? It just seems too easy to just draw beams/columns wherever support is needed, without deduction.

5. Can a column on the upper level EVER be located above a window or door opening on the ground floor, if a lintel is provided above said opening, of course? (I would never want to do this, but I want to be prepared for any constraining situation.)

Thank you in advance. This site/community has been incredibly helpful, enabling me to pass 4 of the 5 tests I have taken this year on the first attempt with 2-3 weeks of study time per test (the exception being PPP where I somehow failed the vignette on the 1st attempt, though I passed the MC level 1). I just have SS (next week), and finally, Schematic Design the following week. I have also been responding to other people's posts whenever possible to try and give back. So thank you, again.
SDTK

Re: SS Vignette - Questions/Considerations

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 pm

SDTK wrote:Hello,
I'm studying the SS vignette right now, just have a couple of questions...

1. Do we ALWAYS assume beams span a max of 40'-0"? Where does this figure come from? Has it ever changed? It's an unofficial rule of thumb.

2. Same question for the joists' 30'-0" max span... is this ALWAYS the max? Is this info taken from the NCARB vignettte video? I do not see it in the program, seems like very important info to be left out, or only mentioned in the NCARB introductory video. See above.

3. What is the purpose of telling us where the clerestory window is located? Just to make sure we propose a beam for joist support on the upper floor in that location, instead of proposing a bearing wall? Seems too easy. A bearing wall would not worth with a clerestory.

4. What is the purpose of offering bearing walls at all, if beams/columns can always be used in the same locations? Some programs might require them.Is there any advantage to proposing bearing walls on the ground floor where applicable, instead of a beam? Could be possible in the real exam. If anyone knows for sure, they are not allowed to say so. Is it assumed bearing walls are cheaper/stronger structurally, and we should utilize them (especially on exterior walls) instead of beams wherever we can? It just seems too easy to just draw beams/columns wherever support is needed, without deduction. It's easier and faster. Don't try to make this complicated.

5. Can a column on the upper level EVER be located above a window or door opening on the ground floor, if a lintel is provided above said opening, of course? No.(I would never want to do this, but I want to be prepared for any constraining situation.)

Thank you in advance. This site/community has been incredibly helpful, enabling me to pass 4 of the 5 tests I have taken this year on the first attempt with 2-3 weeks of study time per test (the exception being PPP where I somehow failed the vignette on the 1st attempt, though I passed the MC level 1). I just have SS (next week), and finally, Schematic Design the following week. I have also been responding to other people's posts whenever possible to try and give back. So thank you, again.
Sparky83

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS