Site Design Vignette attempt - after much practice.

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Design Vignette attempt - after much practice.

Postby lenecrobusier » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Please see the attached attempt. I'd really love to know if the plaza/walks need to touch the actual fronts of the buildings or if that area in front is enough.

Any and all comments are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lenecrobusier

Re: Site Design Vignette attempt - after much practice.

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:12 pm

lenecrobusier wrote:Please see the attached attempt. I'd really love to know if the plaza/walks need to touch the actual fronts of the buildings or if that area in front is enough. Touch or overlap. Either way works.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Coniferous trees do not have to be adjacent to the PP to block winter winds. Distance does not matter. New coniferous trees downwind of the restaurant are not needed.
OT entry is barely visible from Bentley.
The new tree at the NW corner of the restaurant serves no purpose.
Building separation is questionable.
Why all the turns in the walk from the PP to restaurant entry?
Sparky83

Postby lenecrobusier » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:13 am

Sparky-

Thanks for your comments, and clearing up some misconceptions.
I had no idea that the trees were acceptable at any distance - in studying there was a distance at which trees stop being windbreaks and i just wanted to ensure that the plaza was protected. Is this somewhere in the vignette prompt and i missed it or has NCARB clarified this in a written form somewhere?
I had rotated the OT to minimize shade on the plaza - is there a permissible max % shade on the plaza? I was trying to stay under 10%.
Building separation was established with a 210 radius circle at the closest corner of the OT - the entire restaurant was outside of it. Had to delete it to continue to draw.
The turns were meant to avoid going into the tree drip-line - doesn't appear necessary now but at the time it seemed like the safest answer.

Out of curiosity, when the vignette says that paving should be minimized, does that imply that there's a % coverage of the site that fails you?

Note that none of the above is intended to break NCARB confidentiality rules, just want clarification if it's available.

Thanks again.
lenecrobusier

Postby lenecrobusier » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 am

I received the results today and it was a pass.

I thought i would share my approach to the vignettes in case anyone else found it useful. I didn't like the matrix setup that i'd found other people using. I'm sure they find it fine but it didn't work for me.
So instead i developed the following system (picture is taken from the NCARB practice vignette.) - it splits out the scope of the problem into a series of checklist items based on the program.

I started from the vignette directions, as every item you need to lay out is explicitly stated there. I assigned each of these scope items to a letter, (A) through (G) in the practice vignette
I then went through the program and organized each item and sub item into the appropriate scope letter to create a checklist of all criteria for each item, noting the original item number in the program for later back-checking.
Once this was complete i identified the critical setback requirements and established those via sketch lines. for each item solved I soft-checked it off the list.

then i just stepped through the program. doing it this way permitted me to back-check as I went, and when i needed to make adjustments to my layout i could quickly confirm the requirements.

The only thing i wished i had done better was think through the possible building arrangements a little more. There were several ways i could have gone and the one i chose ended up being harder to work with due to site conditions. This caused me to take 1.5 hrs on the site planning vignette. Luckily the site grading vignette only took 15 minutes, allowing me more time to check the planning vignette.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lenecrobusier

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN