Switching NCARB account from CA to NY

Switching NCARB account from CA to NY

Postby SMP » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:27 am

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here has switched NCARB accounts from CA to NY during the testing process. I am almost done with the exams (one left) which I will be completing before the end of this year. I will not be taking the CSE because I plan to stay in NY. NCARB advised that I finish my exams before I request to change my NCARB account from CA to NY-- and I was just wondering if anyone else has done something similar to this. If so-- how long did it take for NCARB to make the switch?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Best,
SMP
SMP

Re: Switching NCARB account from CA to NY

Postby jspruit » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:16 am

I switched from MI to NY after passing my last exam. NCARB recommended that I don't switch jurisdictions during the testing process. The whole process of requesting NCARB to change to NY and NY accepting the change from NCARB and then NCARB actually sending the record took about 3 weeks with me sending emails or calling both sides every week to push the process. I know it's not the same switch that you're planning on doing but it might help understand the process and timeline a bit.
jspruit

Postby SMP » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for sharing - 3 weeks doesn't sound too bad but I'll remember to check in on them both to make sure the switch is in progress...
SMP

Postby spiketwig » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Yes I did this - my record was started in CA but I wanted to become registered in WA. They told me the same thing - wait until you're done testing (I guess maybe trying to switch messes up their system? who knows...) and then tell them before the transfer your record to the state. I called once I passed all the tests and told them I needed it transferred to WA. It did take several weeks (they send you some emails about Green Covers or something like that once it transfers) but I kinda think that's how long it takes to transfer your record to the state like, in general? I could be wrong though.

So... same experience as the other poster. Just make sure you call them as soon as you pass everything and catch them before they use up you free transfer on the wrong state. Never assume NCARB will do *anything* - call and bug them until they've assured you it's done. Preferably with a confirmation email. Also call your state licensing board to confirm they have actually received the record transfer once NCARB tells you it's gone through. Believe nothing until an actual human tells you that it's been done and they're holding it in their hand/see it on their screen.

I was kind of bugged out about the CSE thing too - like, if they transfer to CA by mistake am I stuck taking that thing? ugh.
spiketwig

Postby Raja » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm in the same situation, started in CA but now living in NY. I've been working on projects in several different states, but I don't know that it really matters where I'm registered since I don't have my own firm.

One thing I noticed is that the AXP and other requirements are different by state, so check NCARB site for that. I have a lot of years of experience and I'm weighing taking CSE for CA, vs. not having the option to use the AXP Portfolio option in NY.

https://www.ncarb.org/get-licensed/lice ... ments-tool
Raja

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION