3rd Fail on this exam

3rd Fail on this exam

Postby tmston2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:32 am

Yep, failed this exam for 3rd time. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
couldn't believe I failed, I just don't understand why I continue to fail! But crush at work!!!
in my mind i think i could have only failed by 5-8 questions tops, or those stupid questions that ask me crap
like: you have an apple, banana, orange, and pear, which do you recommend client eat first?
Im like WTF!?!?! at this point, every two months I will be taking this exam till I pass and
done!
tmston2

Re: 3rd Fail on this exam

Postby Coach » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 am

tmston2 wrote:at this point, every two months I will be taking this exam till I pass and
done!

Sorry, but only 3 attempts allowed in any 12-month period.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby tmston2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Coach wrote:
tmston2 wrote:at this point, every two months I will be taking this exam till I pass and
done!

Sorry, but only 3 attempts allowed in any 12-month period.

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasnt aware of that! so soonest I can test again id mid nov.,
Sucks
tmston2

Postby kerzzo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:35 pm

tmstom2,

generally speaking, what do you feel was lacking or not being communicated correctly by the test? no details needed, but how comfortable were you taking this test, rush of the time clock aside.

did you change your study method from the last time around?

you will get there...I am trying to understand how the rest of us can be helpful.
kerzzo

Postby tmston2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 am

kerzzo wrote:tmstom2,

generally speaking, what do you feel was lacking or not being communicated correctly by the test? no details needed, but how comfortable were you taking this test, rush of the time clock aside.

did you change your study method from the last time around?

you will get there...I am trying to understand how the rest of us can be helpful.

I did not change my study method since taking ppd last, & that method consisted of going thru online practice question bank for brightwood,
& designer hacks at least a hour a day and going through archiflash cards on areas that are not my strength for at least
a hour.
Honestly for the most part I can definitely tell you this with no ambiguity, most of the questions on the exam test your ability to
follow instructions, attention to details, and general anal approach of architecture as practice so you cannot rely heavily on work
experience or how you do it in the real world.
Also keep in mind, unless it says otherwise, every questions is testing you from an AIA contract, public, commercial project, were money
is no object.
I did have at least 10-12 tricky questions that were easy but real head scratchers: ex; you are driving down the paved road in a jeep,
were are you most likely to see a monkey? a). congo b). south american jungle c) your backyard D). local zoo
im like a,b,d could be the answer, so now i look at my 11yr experience, then i look at what ncarb wants me say then im like
trying to determine should i cut the green or yellow wire!!!! but i guess I cut the wrong wire
According to my score the area that got me was "integration of materials" worth 37% max of score and its the only area I failed.
so im thinking 8 -10 more correct questions and im sitting on a license, raise, and $1,000 bonus
tmston2

Postby kerzzo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 am

got it! I felt the same way with PPD. we'll get there, but it's good you put it that way---I guess we can all relate to this.
I am at a point where I feel studying any further is useless as there are very few questions that are from the books and that memorizing is key. it seems youw ere pretty clsoe and should be able to get it next time! thanks for sharing your experience.
kerzzo

Postby tmston2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:57 pm

kerzzo wrote:I am at a point where I feel studying any further is useless as there are very few questions that are from the books and that memorizing is key.

In january of 2018 I will be at 3.5 yrs of testing and studying (I could have 2 more Master degree by now or a PhD and would have been easier) and yes, I feel the same exact way! I am not paying for another study tool or reading thru
another study guide! I will just continue to test until i pass! I have developed a sixth sense about these exams and people who say they passed all 5-6-7 without failing:
A). Super Lucky
B). Fake ncarb candidates
C). Lame individuals who dont have a life so they sit in thier small studio studying for 8hrs night after night after night after night after night..........
D) folks are lying saying they passed and they havent
E). ncarb randomly pick individuals and give them easier exam to say hey we have people passing!
F). people are cheating (whether its going back telling all your colleagues and friends who are testing or going on ur break looking at you notes which is way easier to do in 50 than 40,
If i dumped on some one right now all that i have seen on the exams they can pass first round also. i have failed about 12 exams and passed 4 so far
you know how many questions I have seen given the avg exam is 90 questions, thats 1,440 state licensing test questions, and some of them I still cant find the answer to,
Ive even asked several licensed architects and they didnt know, and some of them seem agitated when I ask as if im taking the easy way out or as if im trying to embarrass them
G). Last but not least, and hear me out, I definitely believe the test is culturally biased. im not saying its intentional, or making an excuse but im certain if majority of
ncarb were my caliber I would definitely be done with exam format.
tmston2

Postby tmston2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Only last advice is that the exam is broad and you dont know which one
you will get, for example I had about 15 structures questions I can remember
and none of them covered rigid frames, & 1 indirect seismic design question
so you basically have to make sure you cover everything but not in great detail
Thanks all for all your support and help on this insane career and life journey.
tmston2

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation