Some Vignette Questions

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Some Vignette Questions

Postby mryan64 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:34 pm

I am taking my test tomorrow and just had a few questions on the vignette I'd like to see if anyone knows the answers to. Some of them I think I've seen in other posts scattered around so I'd just like to get them in one spot so I can make sure.

1. I don't have to line up columns on the two sides of a joist span? See the below image by what I would propose. It seems better to line up columns based on the conditions of each side versus trying to force the same layout on each side.

2. As a follow-up to the above question can I have different numbers of columns on each side? Let's say that on one side I have to have 4 due to space or above structural conditions. Do I have to have 4 on the other side of the joists or can I get away with less if I don't need the 4?

3. The only 2-level walls on the lower level that need beams are those that are attached to roof correct? In the ARE practice vignette the southwest corner of the common area has no roof attached to it so I would assume no beam just in that corner corner?

4. Window walls get no beam through them on the lower level plan correct? So the ARE vignette west window wall would have a beam on the upper level but not on the lower level.

Thanks for any input!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mryan64

Re: Some Vignette Questions

Postby Coach » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:12 pm

mryan64 wrote:1. I don't have to line up columns on the two sides of a joist span?

Correct. Structural grid not required.

It seems better to line up columns based on the conditions of each side versus trying to force the same layout on each side.

Well, if by conditions you mean wall intersections, that's also irrelevant. On the north wall you have columns where you need them. On the south wall,
the middle column is best at midspan, not at wall intersection.

2. As a follow-up to the above question can I have different numbers of columns on each side?

Of course.

3. The only 2-level walls on the lower level that need beams are those that are attached to roof correct? In the ARE practice vignette the southwest corner of the common area has no roof attached to it so I would assume no beam just in that corner corner?

Correct.

4. Window walls get no beam through them on the lower level plan correct?

Window wall has zero impact on beam requirements.

So the ARE vignette west window wall would have a beam on the upper level but not on the lower level.

Most solutions have no beams at all on west wall.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS