Vignette Question - Beams at High Roof

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette Question - Beams at High Roof

Postby DTH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 am

Hello all,

Very quick question. In vignettes where the spans are greater than 30 ft, such as Saajads alt, I understand it'd typical to just span the extra feet up to about 35 ft max.

My question is, would it also be acceptable to split the difference with a beam? So you'd have a beam supported by two columns with joists spanning 30 ft instead. Just curious if that would be considered a failing solution.

TL:DR, Can beams span over the 'high' ceiling area? Columns still within the wall, but beams running perpendicular to the Wall to the other column. I'll post a screenshot once I'm at a computer.
DTH

Re: Vignette Question - Beams at High Roof

Postby DTH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Here is the condition I attempted to describe in my previous post (except I'd like to know if this would be fine without placing columns in the window wall, as shown in this snapshot).

Any input would be appreciated. I figured that If the columns are within the walls, then there would be no harm in having this sort of beam. A bit inefficient maybe, but not a failing approach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DTH

Re: Vignette Question - Beams at High Roof

Postby Coach » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 pm

DTH wrote:I'd like to know if this would be fine without placing columns in the window wall

Of course not. Beams must have columns and columns cannot be in a room or designated clear opening.

It works.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS