Indirect Natural Lighting

Indirect Natural Lighting

Postby Zanno » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Looking for a good definition of indirect lighting at it relates to natural light. I had a couple questions on my exam that asked about window/program placement for indirect natural light. I guessed this would be on the North side of the building (or room) because the South side of a building --- assuming you are in the Northern Hemisphere -- would be a more intensive type of light as opposed to a softer North light. I believe this is why artists studios are ideally placed to receive North light.

Thoughts?
Zanno

Re: Indirect Natural Lighting

Postby vrcat25 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 pm

good question...I also looked for material online and in text books, but wasn't able to find much on "indirect lighting"...I think you're right that northern light has indirect exposure...Anybody know of any good sources on indirect light??
vrcat25

Postby kerzzo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 am

this is something that would likely be in the Sun, Wind and Light (SWL) book....
kerzzo

Postby vrcat25 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 am

kerzzo wrote:this is something that would likely be in the Sun, Wind and Light (SWL) book....

This was the first place i checked but thanks...Do you know first hand and specifically what page? I looked in index and didn't see any mention of indirect lighting...this seems like it should be a straightforward question and answer, but ncarb managed to make it convoluted enough so that there were 3 different questions on indirect lighting, without giving any specifics...
vrcat25

Postby ablumetti » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 am

indirect lighting , in addition to northern exposure, also refers to light shelves and using reflective surfaces....read Sun, Wind & Light....def covers it all...
ablumetti

Postby vrcat25 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:16 am

ablumetti wrote:indirect lighting , in addition to northern exposure, also refers to light shelves and using reflective surfaces....read Sun, Wind & Light....def covers it all...

as mentioned, i can't find it there. What edition? I looked in index and don't see where it discusses. Have you encountered the questions that Zanno is talking about?? If it covers it, please be more specific because that's the first place we checked...
vrcat25

Postby ablumetti » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm

VRCAt...other invaluable assets....which I know mention indirect lighting...Architects Studio Companion and MEEB
ablumetti

Postby kerzzo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:11 pm

sorry I just got back here, quite a busy month---
I think the issue is that all of the topics related to the question are in both the SWL and the ASC book refer to under "Daylighting". There is a lot of information there, probably too much! inclusive of toplighting and sidelighting...hope it helps
kerzzo

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design