PPD Structural?

PPD Structural?

Postby ayoitsjoco » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:55 pm

I have reached the SS 4.0 portion of my 5.0 studying for PPD. Any idea of what to study here? Any advice is appreciated--I just don't want to waste my time if I could be studying another portion more right now. Testing this month and yes I only have 4.0 materials. Thanks!
ayoitsjoco

Re: PPD Structural?

Postby vrcat25 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:30 am

ayoitsjoco wrote:I have reached the SS 4.0 portion of my 5.0 studying for PPD. Any idea of what to study here? Any advice is appreciated--I just don't want to waste my time if I could be studying another portion more right now. Testing this month and yes I only have 4.0 materials. Thanks!

I took PPD a couple weeks ago and there was only 3-5 questions related to structures. 3 of them made no sense and were impossible to study for. I'd just focus on core concepts and hope that you get better questions.
vrcat25

Postby ayoitsjoco » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:45 pm

wow thanks OK. will focus on studying other stuff then with my time...any suggestion?
ayoitsjoco

Postby ayoitsjoco » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:29 pm

bump. Anyone?
ayoitsjoco

Postby vrcat25 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:28 pm

For PPD and PDD i would suggest the following study materials in order from most to least important for the most part

1) Building Construction Illustrated - Ching
2) MEEB
3) Fundamentals of Building Construction
4) Ballast Chapters pertaining to PPD and "ARE Sample problems" for ss, bs, bdcs
5) Jenny's notes SS, BS, BDCS and refresher on SPD and PPP
6) Mike's notes for structural systems
7) 5.0 Handbook and practice exam ( i would do this last and make sure you are very familiar with navigating the case studies)

Even though i listed the handbook last, i don't know that it would rank there as far as importance because it depends on the specific test. Probably the most important thing for the 5.0 test is "time management". Obviously, i'm no expert since i failed both PPD and PDD my first time around, but i feel i am more prepared. that being said, there are some question that i'm still unable to find answers for due to their obscure and ambiguous nature. There are many "pick the best" answer where they are very subjective hypothetical questions that are impossible to study for. Percentage wise there were 60% "best guess" subjective questions and maybe 40% clear and straightforward questions for my PPD test and 80%/20% for PDD so i would say PDD is even more difficult due to how bad the wording was. Hopefully, i will have a little better luck the next test with the type of question i get and i will be a little more prepared. I can't think of any major study sources than what i've listed. If anybody else knows of an essential study source for PPD, feel free to add or rearrange my core list...

I would also advise what NOT to do. Don't do as i did and rely mainly on experience. I've worked at a firm for over 5 years and i thought this would help with the test, but the question were not real world in nature. You only have about 2 minute per question so the clock is always running. If you get hung up on a question for more than a minute, mark it and move on. Hopefully, you will have less than i did, but more than half of my questions were WTF questions.
vrcat25

Postby kerzzo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:04 am

The reality is that in my 12+ years of experience, never did calculations mainly because I work on large scale high-rise and mixed use buildings. I am not sure if anyone working on smaller scale projects have done calculations themselves, but from what i hear it is not the case most of the time.

I worry about this issue since as much as I understand the terminology, the concepts , the systems, etc, the only time i dealt with this was in school, but it has been a long time!

I think no one should worry about this or complain about this, but learn the basics and possible formulas that would come up in the questions. in either case, it seems like it won't be as extreme as 4.0 SS.
kerzzo

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design