Exam Strategy Advice - 2 left

Exam Strategy Advice - 2 left

Postby 4RunnerHoney » Thu May 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi! I need some advice on what exam strategy I should pursue. I have passed 5 exams and have 2 remaining. I failed Building Systems (Electrical portion and vignette) and eligible to re-take Building Systems in mid June. I was planning to study for a few weeks; focus on areas I failed and review all other sections. I also need to pass Structures. My rolling clock is also ticking with my first exam expiring on Aug. 9th. Any ideas on how I should attack this? Do I study longer for each one or leave time for re-takes? Interested in hearing Coach’s view too.
4RunnerHoney

Re: Exam Strategy Advice - 2 left

Postby Coach » Thu May 11, 2017 12:36 pm

In order to leave time for retakes you need to take both well before June 8th to make sure you're able to reschedule. Since planning to fail is never a good strategy, I would make sure you're ready before scheduling. Take BS first, probably sooner rather than later, then SS, probably in July. You should consider investing in Thaddeus or Mitalski.

Out of curiosity, what's the first exam you'd lose and when will the 2nd one be lost?

Coach
Site Admin

Postby 4RunnerHoney » Thu May 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Thank you, I agree I should go in feeling ready.
I will lose Schematic Design first then CDs in Sept if rolling clock comes into play. Almost want to stop what I am doing and go study.
4RunnerHoney

Postby Coach » Thu May 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Other than the cost and hassle, losing SD is not a big deal. CDS is critical though. If you lose that you'll want to drop everything and pass it again.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby sb84 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:44 pm

i would say do BS first (With Amber seminar). then Structures with Thadeus. like coach said. If you lose SD, not end of the world to retake, but you don't want to have to retake CDS. if you invest in the 2 seminars I think youll do fine without losing any. good luck!
sb84

Postby 4RunnerHoney » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 am

So I took BS and failed. My rolling clock has hit and my situation is getting more complicated.

I have passed 5 exams in 4.0 and have 2 remaining (BS and Structures). I have recently failed BS twice and not eligible to retake till 8/20.
My rolling clock has hit and I will lose Schematic Design on 8/9, CDS on 9/27 and Site Planning on 11/29.

I am in a pickle. Should I stay in 4.0 and take 3 remaining tests or transition to 5.0? If I transition, I will be taking Project Planning and Design and Project Development and Documentation. What is the view on 5.0? Any thoughts?
4RunnerHoney

Postby Coach » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

4RunnerHoney wrote:So I took BS and failed. My rolling clock has hit and my situation is getting more complicated.

I have passed 5 exams in 4.0 and have 2 remaining (BS and Structures). I have recently failed BS twice and not eligible to retake till 8/20.
My rolling clock has hit and I will lose Schematic Design on 8/9, CDS on 9/27 and Site Planning on 11/29.

I am in a pickle. Should I stay in 4.0 and take 3 remaining tests or transition to 5.0? If I transition, I will be taking Project Planning and Design and Project Development and Documentation. What is the view on 5.0? Any thoughts?

Well, CDS is the big one.

Transitioning now would be a huge gamble. If you don't pass PPD and PDD before losing it you will have to pass five 5.0 sections, which also makes it probable that you will lose SPD, which will require taking all of 5.0.

With less than 12 weeks to work with, I wouldn't transition.

Keep plugging away at 4.0. If you lose CDS, drop everything and retake it until you pass.

After that, reevaluate your situation.

Coach
Site Admin

Re: Exam Strategy Advice - Rolling Clock

Postby 4RunnerHoney » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 am

So the rolling clock is hitting me hard.

have passed 5 exams in 4.0 and had 2 remaining (BS and Structures). I recently failed BS and SS multiple times and not eligible to retake SS till mid October. I have also lost SD and CDs in 4.0 due to these recent failures.

So at this point in time, I need 4 exams in 4.0. If I transition to 5.0 I will need PDD and PPD before 9/27. If I do not pass both, I will lose CDs and have to take all exams in 5.0.
I feel like I am in quicksand and digging deeper. I am leaning towards transitioning to 5.0 and going for it since there is overlap but unsure at this point. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
4RunnerHoney

Postby Coach » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 pm

If you transition now you'll be under a lot of pressure and odds are that you will end up having to pass all of 5.0.

I would take the pressure off, and start studying for CDS.

When does PPP expire?
Coach
Site Admin

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION