Moving on to PDD

Moving on to PDD

Postby ekelsey15 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:21 am

I got my pass results from PPD yesterday.

So now I'm moving on to to PDD.

Are the questions on this test similar or more in depth. I know it's more about CDs but I don't know what to study..
ekelsey15

Re: Moving on to PDD

Postby tmston2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am

Are the questions on this test similar or more in depth. I know it's more about CDs but I don't know what to study..

how many times are we going to ask this question?
tmston2

Postby ekelsey15 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 am

tmston2 wrote:

how many times are we going to ask this question?

At least one more...
ekelsey15

Postby jonimperial » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:31 pm

I just got out of PPD, i took PDD for the early tester incentive and I would say that the questions are pretty similar.. but there are more details for PDD. how materials work together, insulation, vapor barrier, detailing in general.
jonimperial

Postby tmston2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Not trying to be rude, in my mind part of being an architect and adding value to yourself and the client is doing your research & leg work, which requires digging in the code book(s), catalogues, manuals etc... not just turning in you chair & asking the same question thats been answered like 20x's in this board. Just sayin
tmston2

Postby ekelsey15 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:01 am

tmston2 wrote:Not trying to be rude, in my mind part of being an architect and adding value to yourself and the client is doing your research & leg work, which requires digging in the code book(s), catalogues, manuals etc... not just turning in you chair & asking the same question thats been answered like 20x's in this board. Just sayin

I agree... but did you take any of the 5.0 tests? I've only taken PPD but I will say that I don't feel what was portrayed as being in the test by the handbook (the only real official resource we have) is accurate. So, I am doing my research and conducting a survey.... I don't remember asking for the answers, I was asking for others real life experience and for them to go into a little more depth on the difference between the detail level of the questions.
ekelsey15

Postby tmston2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:43 pm

^ and what you are asking has been asked and answered several times in the respective boards, and yes, I think I was among the first 600 who tested in 5.0 PPD & PDD & failed them both but have them rescheduled to take a month a part a month from
last friday. and again, i'm not trying to be rude, Im just saying think of our career's.
tmston2

Postby ekelsey15 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Sorry that you failed. Maybe you can share you input. Because I've read all the threads and didn't feel as if my question was answered... had I felt it was I wouldn't have asked.

So let's try this again...

Tmston2 where do you feel you got hung up and what would you study? Do you feel that the questions on PPD were similar to those on PDD? Did they vary significantly? If so how?
ekelsey15

Postby tmston2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Tmston2 where do you feel you got hung up and what would you study? Do you feel that the questions on PPD were similar to those on PDD? Did they vary significantly? If so how?

In my mind PDD is a "catch all" for 4.0, BD&CS, BS, & SS, with the (2) casestudies testing how well you understand cd's
sections, plans, wall types, tags etc. that said:
• PDD is probally not as vague in content as PPD but same random question format
• if you passed PPD you shoud pass PPD
• I think I failed both because:
- i overstudied SS & BS, wasted time studying slip crtical bolts names, sizes, threads per inch etc...
- about 4 months prior to taking I failed BD&CS only due to roof vignette, so I didnt review this much & didnt even look
at any 4.0 ppp, spd, or cds at all, (for PPD, dumb on my part I guess)
- studied off and on over 4 months going back & forth between switching or not ( which I forgot alot but learned alot)
- I was not really clear on what to study or how the exam will be at the time
- just failed PPD again, I focused more on 4.0 ppp, spd, & cds but got like 25 structure questions right out the gate
- areas I failed on PPD, cost & project intergration, PDD I got level 3 in every area
- ran outa time on both exams but especially PPD the first time
• at this point in preparing for PDD, im reviewing the following materials & making minimal notes & try to review notes
daily
• carolines notes
• jennys notes, 4.0 BD& CS, SS, BS
• ballast 4.0, SS, BS, BD&CS
• kaplan 4.0 SS, BS, BD&CS
• a.R.e. 4.0 study review site
• 3.1 a.r.e. test
• ching bci
• architect studio companion
• architectural graphic standard
• meeb pratice exams on website
• 5.0 ballast practice exam
• this awesome site by coach
• Prayer & fasting
I will pass this one & PPD in several weeks, I know it!
already took 5.0 practice exam before I started reviewing 2weeks ago to find my weak areas & for PPD got 68% & PDD got 75% so im not sure why I failed these entirely
hope all that helps
tmston2

Postby tmston2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:23 am

bd&cs exam results, so Ive failed 4 in a row
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tmston2

Postby ekelsey15 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:31 am

Yikes. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the input. Would you say PDD is less about structural system types like PPD is, and more about something like connections? Or not really that specific?
ekelsey15

Postby Coach » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm

tmston2 wrote:bd&cs exam results, so Ive failed 4 in a row

You keep failing because of the roof yet you haven't posted your practice vignette a single time -- assuming that you indeed do practice.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby randar82 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 pm

I can't say this enough: concepts, concepts, concepts! If you find yourself studying detailed bolt spacing, mechanical system, seismic, etc... stop. You don't need to know this. Honestly when you get to equations in the study guides - skip them - and move on. Sure, maybe spend, at most, a weekend brushing up on BASIC moment, shear calculations and simple MEP, lighting... that's it. Your time is better spent on Building Construction & Building Code Illustrated.
randar82

Postby tmston2 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am

coach, you are correct, but at this point I have moved on to 5.0
tmston2

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation