Failed - need advice *UPDATE passed on retake

Failed - need advice *UPDATE passed on retake

Postby Travisarch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:41 am

Well, after waiting for 72 days finally got a score and its a fail for both PPD and PDD :(

Studied for 3months and thought I did well, any suggestions on what else to study (perhaps specifically for Content Area 5)

Here is my score
http://i.imgur.com/ddheCy0.jpg
Content Area 1:Environmental Conditions & Context
10-16% ----○------------●--------------○-------------○----
Content Area 2: Codes & Regulations
16-22% ----○------------●--------------○-------------○----
Content Area 3: Building Systems, Materials, & Assemblies
19-25% ----○------------●--------------○-------------○----
Content Area 4: Project Integration of Program & Systems
32-38% ----○------------○--------------●-------------○----
Content Area 5: Project Costs & Budgeting
8-14% ----●------------○--------------○-------------○----

Here is what I studied prior to exams
1. ARE 4.0 related material only (I did not study for exams I already taken which is CDS PPP and SPD)
2. Ballast appropriate chapters
3. ARE 3.1 flash cards
4. Thattius lectures
5. ARE Study Review blog questions
5. FEMA buildings at risk
6. Various notes from ARE coach in 4.0 sections

*UPDATE passed both on retakes, scheduled back to back, done with exams!
Last edited by Travisarch on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travisarch

Re: Failed - need advice

Postby tmston2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:51 am

you are not alone, haha I studied for about 3.5 months and failed this one, hopefully its a pass on PDD, "sigh". I studied
•jenny's notes
• 4.0 ballast, BDCS, BS, & SS
• 4.0 review web site
• mikes notes
• ching structures

anyhow, look at the birght side, you get to retake at no cost to you, and you wont have to wait as long this time,
and you hopefully only have 1 exam lef and ur done,
back to the drawing board
tmston2

Postby Travisarch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:07 pm

tmston2 wrote:you are not alone, haha I studied for about 3.5 months and failed this one, hopefully its a pass on PDD, "sigh". I studied
•jenny's notes
• 4.0 ballast, BDCS, BS, & SS
• 4.0 review web site
• mikes notes
• ching structures

anyhow, look at the birght side, you get to retake at no cost to you, and you wont have to wait as long this time,
and you hopefully only have 1 exam lef and ur done,
back to the drawing board

Yeah I am also waiting for PDD, the biggest issue is that I feel like I forgot everything I've studied because it has been such a long time waiting for results.
Travisarch

Postby cloudyy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Looking at your score report against what you studied, it looks like you should review the CDS/PPP/SPD material you skipped.
cloudyy

Postby shortkm1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:53 am

I found A LOT of the information I needed for the PPD test when I was studying for PDD (go figure). I also failed PPD, so as I am restudying, I am making sure to go over all of the PDD study material too. I studied mostly from Ballast 5.0 (which is not great) and am now supplementing with 4.0 notes from Jenny's Notes and Rich's Notes). Testing again Thursday....wish me luck!
shortkm1

Postby lingo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:50 am

I took PPD last week and Passed. I don't have a magic book for you but I'll tell you all the items I studied from.
I started by reading every page of the PPD chapter of the version 5 Ballast book, and though it's not great it's comprehensive.
Then I skimmed every page of Mech and Elect Equipment for Bldgs by Grondzik -- terribly written but also comprehensive.
I figured I didn't know enough about Costs, Budgeting, Life Cycle Analysis, Depreciation -- so I Googled those things online and learned a bit more about them. The Ballast sections on these is useful and should be learned.
Read briefly elsewhere about Seismic, Acoustics, Soils, Structures.
I know a lot about sustainable design already, but you should know the basics.
I found the online lectures less relevant for this section and for version 5.

Hope this helps you for next time.
lingo

Postby Barry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:56 am

Here's my position on the ARE: It's not an accurate assessment of our competence if an experienced architect can't walk in and pass without spending thousands on study material and tons of hours studying. Since that's not how it is, what is it? What's its purpose? Without a good answer to this, I refuse to participate in it anymore.

I failed PPD after spending all day for 2 weeks studying. I have 10 years of professional experience. NCARB is testing for a profession that doesn't exist.
Barry

Postby Coach » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Barry wrote:Here's my position on the ARE: It's not an accurate assessment of our competence if an experienced architect can't walk in and pass without spending thousands on study material and tons of hours studying. Since that's not how it is, what is it? What's its purpose? Without a good answer to this, I refuse to participate in it anymore.

I failed PPD after spending all day for 2 weeks studying. I have 10 years of professional experience. NCARB is testing for a profession that doesn't exist.

Uh, ok.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby lingo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 pm

For the record, having taken one v5 exam now, I have to say that this is the first test format -- version 5 -- that comes the closest to faithfully measuring ACTUAL professional knowledge.
I have been taking these tests for decades -- yes really, and covering every format including pencil-on-paper/multiple-choice -- and this one is a relief. I say that because it is based on a lot of real knowledge and experience and not dumb cad-software speed techniques -- which I often failed.
I hate to acknowledge it, because I have suffered greatly from this 25 year process, but NCARB may have finally nailed it.
Plus, I received my score the next day! I took PPD and passed.
Just one more test to go -- PDD. Excuse my happiness. I'll get bitter again soon enough.
lingo

Postby Travisarch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Retook PPD and passed! Here are thoughts
(should mention when I took PPD back in December I also studied and took PDD in same week so I studied material for both exams at same time)

This time I decided not to follow old route of using study materials and instead focused on NCARB suggested books for the section, finding Ching's books much more comprehensive than Ballast. I did review my ballast 4.0 tabs and notes night before taking the exam.
Exam seemed so much easier this time, my number keys worked this time too which helped me with time. I blazed through 100questions in 2hours and had 2hours left for case studies which was much more manageable.

Retaking PDD in couple weeks while it is still fresh on my mind, wish me luck!
Travisarch

Postby kerzzo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 am

travisarch, what sections of the ching's books did you focus mostly?
good luck in your next one and hope it's a PASS!
kerzzo

Postby Travisarch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 pm

kerzzo wrote:travisarch, what sections of the ching's books did you focus mostly?
good luck in your next one and hope it's a PASS!

Read it cover to cover, its much more comprehensive and definitely recommend reading entire thing, I made some tabs in the book that are still there that I reviewed. I tried to tab pages that had specific numbers/dimensions which I thought might be good to study and I can tell you exact sections...but I may have skipped tabbing sections I knew for sure...this is 5th edition:
1.28/1.29
4.16/17
5.26/27
9.04/05
9.16/17
Appendix in pretty much its entirety

Should also add that i've read Sun, Wind and Light, flipped through Architectural Graphics, National Building Cost Estimator book (only first few pages were good rest were building types) and all the hours of work between December and now were helpful im sure.
I would also recommend going through ADA and IBC, i didn't study those because I know most of it by heart from work.
Travisarch

Postby kerzzo » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Thank you. I am going through some books now.
kerzzo

Re: Failed - need advice *UPDATE passed on retake

Postby Travisarch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:19 am

Update! Just received news that I passed PDD as well and with this passed all the exams. I took both exams back in December and failed them. Scheduled and retook them both within 2 week time frame this June/July.

Here is my recommendations:
- Read books from NCARB guidelines, I found them much more helpful than studyguides (Ballast Keplan). Specifically Chings books were very comprehensive to me
- Use search and number keys on your keyboard (they fixed it now)
- Rush through questions, mark if unsure and comeback later. On retakes for PPD and PDD I go to case studies in ~2-2.5hours...you will need all that time to go through case studies and return to marked questions

Goodluck all!
Travisarch

Postby kerzzo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:25 am

congrats! that's a relief!
kerzzo

Postby blancovero » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 am

Congratulations! I am taking this one on Tuesday after failing PDD which I thought I did great,,, so I was so demoralized after the test,,, hopefully I am better in this one...
last days of study time for me
blancovero

Postby bgenari007 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:59 am

Travisarch wrote:Update! Just received news that I passed PDD as well and with this passed all the exams. I took both exams back in December and failed them. Scheduled and retook them both within 2 week time frame this June/July.

- Read books from NCARB guidelines, I found them much more helpful than studyguides (Ballast Keplan). Specifically Chings books were very comprehensive to me
- Rush through questions, mark if unsure and comeback later. On retakes for PPD and PDD I go to case studies in ~2-2.5hours...you will need all that time to go through case studies and return to marked questions

Goodluck all!

Hey Congratulations on your pass. Which book Chings book do you recommend he has a few of them? Also I'm focusing on structure do you think I should focus on the calculation components or just an overall knowledge?
bgenari007

Postby Travisarch » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:39 am

bgenari007 wrote:
Travisarch wrote:Update! Just received news that I passed PDD as well and with this passed all the exams. I took both exams back in December and failed them. Scheduled and retook them both within 2 week time frame this June/July.

Goodluck all!

Hey Congratulations on your pass. Which book Chings book do you recommend he has a few of them? Also I'm focusing on structure do you think I should focus on the calculation components or just an overall knowledge?

Building Construction Illustrated and Building Codes Illustrated

As far as calculations are concerned I've gone through all of Ballast a year ago prior I probably spent an hour on each calculation and after failing exam and running out of the time 1st time I took it I realized that I have to spend 1.5minutes max per question and there is nobody in the world who could possibly answer Ballast calculation questions. But I figured they can ask stuff that can be answered in that time and thus just basic simple things, I think Thaddeus is much more helpful then Ballast.
Travisarch

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design