Passed and done!

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Passed and done!

Postby FX Twist » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:51 am

I actually passed this test and all 7 now! This is a testament to anyone who thinks they can't do this or is discouraged by failing these stupid tests! I took a total of 17 tests in 2 years and just found out I am finally done.

In school I didn't pay attention to anything but design. I hated hearing about materials and structures and etc....I just loved the art, space, and volumes. And then after school, I said screw architecture and I joined a band and we toured all over the United States for 3 years. I didn't think I would ever be an architect...I had such little knowledge as well. But then I got married and decided to settle down. My wife encouraged me to try taking the tests after I got a job at a firm. I knew absolutely nothing and re-taught myself everything hence the reason for 17 tests!
My #1 rule was to always have 1 test scheduled. Never take a break.... So if I can do this, you can do this. I had only 1 year of job experience when I started to take them... I am not a good test taker either. Just never stop taking these things.

Study Material
-Kaplan (Except for Structures)
-Ballast (Except for Structures)
-Nalsa Flashcards
-Thaddeus is a must
-Amber Online is a must
-and probably the most important thing, google everything you don't know. When you get out of a test, write down all the questions and terms you didn't understand immediately and then google it all. After failing so many, my main study method ended up being googling all the terms to get more detailed. I could only read Kaplan and Ballast so much!

Never stop taking these! Always have one scheduled.
Thank you everyone for your feedback and thank you Coach!

FX
FX Twist

Re: Passed and done!

Postby kellawley » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:57 am

Wow! Thank you for sharing your story. I really love to hear everyones perspective and their own struggles. Congrats on passing, that is HUGE!

I started taking my tests two year ago, I failed two and quit. I am back at it again and reading your post is very encouraging. Thank you!
kellawley

Postby rwwon » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:41 pm

First off, congrats! What an accomplishment, and way to stick with it!

I find it interesting the many different paths people take through the AREs. Some pass all 7 in a couple months, others only take 2 maybe 3 a year and end up taking several years. Others, like yourself, just keep scheduling and scheduling until you get that pass. It'd be interesting to be a fly on the wall in each of these scenarios, or see a video montage and see what made a difference, or where people feel short, or what came in the way last minute, or what had to be sacrificed, etc.

Again, congrats! Go celebrate!
rwwon

Postby adventurer4hire » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. Good for you man!
adventurer4hire

Postby designtheme » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:15 pm

OMG! NCARB should feature you and your story! Bravo!
I feel like I'm in a similar boat...taken exams 6 times and only passed once. Failed PPP thrice and SPD twice. I'm terrified of taking SPD again....coz I studied the hardest.
I need to finish them in a year as well coz I don't wanna transition to 5.0
designtheme

Postby wdhoang » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 am

Wow amazing. Now to go back to the band tour life haha
wdhoang

Postby FX Twist » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:28 am

NM
Last edited by FX Twist on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FX Twist

Postby katyg151 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:05 pm

congratulations!
Your preservance paid OFF.
I've been testing for 5 years, lost my first exam due to rolling clock. Now have passed 6 sections- lost 1 (SD).
I have to retake SS due to a FAIL last spring, this would be my last section but now I have to retake the lost section SD (which I hope will not to too hard to redo).
I wish I started my exams closer to when I was able to but became a mom, and put my exam on-hold. My oldest is now appling to colleges :) so it has been a long journey for me too.
I'm confident i'll be done soon. Can't imagine what it'll feel like.
Blissful to be able to read for pleasure again.
katyg151

Postby FX Twist » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:55 am

Thank you everyone!
Yes, it was quite the adventure...It's one of the most satisfying feelings
FX Twist

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS