Testing while pregnant/with little kids

Re: Testing while pregnant/with little kids

Postby sarann221 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:03 pm

Well, I just failed Structures. So, that's not encouraging. Ha. However, for those of you taking BS I HIGHLY recommend Michael Ermann's Amber Book online seminar. Going through the videos (twice) and flipping through MEEB book diagrams helped me pass the test the first time and I'm not even working actively in the industry right now!

For me, I've got two test left to pass. I will be completely honest........... I've failed each of them TWICE already. *sigh* *sob*. At this point for me I've decided I'm doing this for my family, because of all the sacrifices they've made for me this long I've got to finish! I've had to also learn how to communicate directly with my husband EXACTLY what would be helpful to me (that's a work in progress still, why can't he read my mind?!?! Ha!)

Lets do this Mommas and parents!!! Positivity and believing in myself I think was key for my BS pass and I lost some of that for Structures. MUST find it again!! Happy 2016! Lets GET IT DONE!! (practicing my positive self talk) ;)
sarann221

Postby LittleBlackBug » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:39 pm

appletree and rackbobo, I was there too! My brain wasn't taking any more in and I felt like I had every ounce of study material memorized. I finally found success when I completely changed it up. I found a structural engineer to review things with me in person, a tutor. My kids were 1.5 and 5 when I passed and it was so hard to find time between birthday parties, events with friends and family and travel for work. I would work through lunch, but study at work for the last hour of my day, giving me time to clear my head while not being distracted by my kids and commitments at home. It's so hard and I seriously got to the point where I thought I would start running out of chances. But, I just kept taking them and finally I made it.

You can do it! You are already doing so much by trying. I hope you can rejuvenate your brain and start fresh with a good pass!
LittleBlackBug

Postby doingit » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:18 am

You guys are awesome! With a 2 and 4 year old, work, family, friends and maybe exercise...it's been bloody rough! These posts are great and all of you are inspiring. I'm praying that I will have only 1 more left which is BS. I've taken that one multiple times and I feel absolutely drained and my mental health is so wobbly BUT I took a break, enjoyed doing things I enjoy doing and went back at it. It hasn't been easy but we're so close it would be foolish to stop. I know I'll finish eventually and so will you. Do not let give up. You can do it!!! I keep coming back to these posts and it renews my hope. Thanks for your posts! Happy new year!
doingit

Postby sk1grl » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:49 am

Hi All, thanks for the motivational posts. I am preparing my mama brain to sit down and tackle the 4 exams I have left. I have BS, BDCS, SD and CDS! Of course, I have 4 months left on my rolling clock. I will apply for the extension request, as I feel like I am going to need the extra time. I am having a really hard time focusing and feeling like I cannot absorb the material like I did pre-baby. We are finally sleeping through the night, so I am getting more rest now. My little one is 16months and it's hard to be away from her at this age, I feel like I am missing out. I will set up a calendar to log in my hours, I think that will be helpful in my commitment to myself. I agree with feeling 80% confident with the material to sit for the test. Would love to hear from you other mamas who are testing this year. Love the study and success stories.
Here's to a successful 2016 with more passes!
sk1grl

Postby appletree » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:45 am

@ sarann....argh i feel your pain about believing in yourself! i just retook BS on Monday...we shall see. i have this feeling that i failed again...in which case I am just going to switch gears and try another test. my brain just can't do any better right now..maybe next year. it is so encouraging to know that other moms and families are struggling with this too, i love our cheering section here. i also feel like i am missing fun time with my little ones, so i try to space out the exams so i can say to my son (he's 5) "this month is for studying, but next month you'll have lots of mom time!" hes finally old enough to understand what that means...
appletree

Postby loadwarrior » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:27 am

I'm also throwing in a word of encouragement. I took my first test (CDS) last week. My husband is studying for a big bad network engineering exam, so we jokingly say we have a "Lord of the Flies" situation going on with the four kids. It's temporary though, right?

So the night before my test the 2YO got up 3X. She usually sleeps through the night. Hubby finally came to bed at 2am and got up with her the 4th time. So my sleep was minimal. As I was putting my shoes on to leave, the dog threw up **IN** one of the shoes as I was tying the other one. Awesome moment there... So, I cleaned up the shoe and put on another pair. I arrived at the testing center a little frustrated, understandably. However, I PASSED!! One down. Six to go. :D We can do this!
loadwarrior

Postby doingit » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Dear study warriors! Yesterday I celebrated my 6th PASS and I was crying and laughing at the same time. All of those long hours of work followed by evenings and late night study, weekends sacrificed, extra pounds gained from sitting on my..... :D My husband and family taking care of the kids! Oh these exams are ridiculous but the dedication makes it so worth it. I was so wiped out and burnt out and like many other posts I've read, I felt I couldn't retain the information any longer. SS was scheduled the day after Christmas and the last thing I wanted to do was take an exam. The only reason I actually showed up to take it was because my husband made me :D he told me to relax and be confident. "You know this!" Since I had already been feeling so wiped out the last couple of weeks I wasn't pressuring myself. I was relaxed.

The best was getting great big hugs from my 4 and 2 year old while yelling Mommy passed! Mommy passed! Over and over again! If this is what you really want, don't stop! You know this!!

BS here I come! (Pun intended)
doingit

Postby TTas » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:23 am

For all the superwoman and man!
Don't give up! you can do it. I started my ARE after the birth of my first baby. When my baby was one year old, I scheduled my first exam. And finished all within a year when my baby is two years old. I paced myself for one exam every 1-2 month.
What I did: Study during my commute to work. Gladly I live in the bay area where public transit is an option. It guarantees me two hours per day min. I also study whenever I can. During lunch break, when my kid is watching cartoon. Being passager in the car. When my kid is sleeping. I left my day during weekend open to have some family time except the weekend before my exam. I tried to get some help, from grandparents, friend who has kids, sometime my husband took the kid out. It is hard but possible. I had absolutely no time for myself for a year. No dinner out with friends and no time for gym. But I did it. I found it easier to pass when you study them in a fast pace. The memories from CDS can help you with BDCS. I am moving to CSE now. Wish me luck and good luck for all the superheros. :D
TTas

Postby BabingtonB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:57 am

appletree - I'm in the same boat, just my 2 are younger (3 & 6mo). I get about 1/2 hour to myself every night (which actually encroches on sleep) after getting home, cooking dinner, and then getting the kids to sleep. I also get the kids ready in the morning (solo). I'm completely burnt out. I haven't started testing yet, and it doesn't help that NCARB keeps messing up my account. I actually just called NCARB & my state, because they have my account as 'inactive'. When I called both, they put it on each other, saying that I am fully ready to go. My goal is to try to get 2 tests under my belt this year. I'm at the point where I really need my license to move up in my company. I pretty much function as a PM, but I can't fully since I don't have my license (and we deal with agencies). Maybe us moms can unite and somehow study together remotely - study buddy type thing? You can do it! Invest in yourself, even though it's daunting and is frustrating. You've only got 4 left!
BabingtonB

Postby appletree » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:39 am

Hi super architect parents!
I passed BS on my retake! I seriously did not sleep last night and had a nightmare that I failed. I logged into NCARB first thing this am to see I passed! I was shaking I was so relieved. 4 down, 3 to go. Doing SD next so I can have a break from memorizing stuff that I don't need to know bc we have consultants who worry about this in real life :) my goal is to take SD in the spring. I don't study or test in the summer - I really like to leave those weekends free for kids and fun stuff. Then hopefully tackle SS and BDCS in fall/winter.
If I passed this text with two kids and a super demanding firm job....you can do it too! I basically only end up studying in weekends despite my attempts to fit it in on weekdays. Testing right after New Years helped bc I had s long weekend with lots of help from my husband and I got some sleep.
appletree

Postby sk1grl » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:45 am

Appletree!!! That is SUCH great news! Congratulations! Your motivation and the other success stories helped motivate me, and I am taking BDCS the first week in February. I have been trying to study after work for at least 3 hours, after LO goes to sleep. Last night I had a late night at the office, so I didn't get in my 3 hours. But feeling better each session about the material. If only I could keep my eyes open at night!!
sk1grl

Postby makivolk » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:58 pm

I am soooooo motivated to get this done!
have a 2.5 year old.
I dragged this for such a long time and did everything else but licensing. and now I just want it over with.

I am lucky to work from home and have a VERY supportive husband. I take exams every 4-6 weeks. I schedule my exams 2 months up front, passed 4, have 3 more to go. I start my day with exam study (min 2 hours) and than I do my work. I catch up on my work when my kid goes to sleep since I can work tired but not study tired. Two weeks before exam I take whole weekends to study (I leave the house and do not come back....library, cafe, park). If I have a mess with work I mark up how many hours I lose and I catch up on that by taking those hours off from work closer to exam. I also make my study count.
makivolk

Postby Vq30de » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:56 pm

This is the best post I've read on here, I'm in complete awe of anyone having babies and testing. We have a 6 year old and 6 month old, and my wife is a stay at home mom and works her butt off. She's pumping every 3-4 hours, and I can't imagine adding exams into the mix. Due largely to her support, I was able to bang out 7 exams in 8mos before our second little pork chop arrived. Keep up the incredible work, like I said I am blown away at these success stories
Vq30de

Postby mtckli » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Raising my hand in this discussion. I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old and I just took BDCS yesterday - which is my last exam to pass. I started these exams 02/2014 - right before I found out I was pregnant with #2 and took all 7 - failed 2 of them at the end when I was 9 months pregnant because I was just so beat. Finally retook the 6th one and passed (had to take a week off work to study and concentrate) and passed BS. BDCS is really killing me though. I don't think I passed yesterday. Which just makes me more angry because I will have to spend more time studying instead of being with my children. I'm finishing this though- because I need the increased income potential - and because I've worked too damn hard to give up now.

One more...
mtckli

Postby loose seal two » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:01 am

Another one joining the club here!

I took SD in June 2013 right before the blackout and passed to establish my rolling clock. I found out in October 2013 that I was pregnant with #1. Decided I needed to try to pass as many exams as possible before I gave birth and just started crankin. Unfortunately, some intense morning sickness and migraines derailed my schedule a bit but I took and passed 5 exams before my son decided to show up (2 weeks late!) So my exam schedule went like this:
6/8/13, took SD (pass)
11/2/13, took CDS (pass)
2/1/14, took PPP (pass)
3/15/14, took SPD (pass)
6/7/14, took SS (pass)
7/1/14, Son was born!
Gave myself a "few months reprieve," which cascaded into a year. Then! A couple weeks before my son's first birthday, I found out I was pregnant again. I knew I only had two more to pass, but I now had a little one in the mix and a whole new host of pregnancy symptoms! So I tried to give myself a wide berth to study. In the end, I realized that lengthening my study time was ineffective, so I just sucked it up.

10/20/15, took BDCS (pass)

At the holidays, we learned my husband got his dream job about 2 hours away from where we currently live, and so we decided that he would move and get our new house in order (minor renovations), while my son and I continued to spend weekdays in our current home, until baby #2 arrives. We reunite each weekend, but do chores, and make sure to spend as much time as possible together with our son so he continues to feel secure. This means weekend study time has been nil. Weekdays have been a blur of morning rush, daycare drop off, focused work, studying at lunch, focused work, day care pick up, playing with my son, dinner/bath/bed, and then 2-3 hours of studying. Before I knew it, I was deep into my third trimester and realized it was go-time, and I needed to take this test.
And so...
2/13/15, took BS (pass)!!!!!

I'm 37 weeks pregnant now, and am so relieved to have this done, and to be able to focus on family for the next several months as I envision the new path my career will take. Parents- take heart and stay focused, and remember what's important. God bless you all and good luck!
loose seal two

Postby appletree » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:25 am

@ loose seal, that is an amazing story! go you! congrats on your second kid as well....

i am gearing up to start studying for SD as a break after passing BS. only giving myself 6 weeks...so hopefully I can pull it off. As someone else mentioned, I also had to extend study time once...and it just resulted in a fail, it did not help me, so I'm not going to try that again.

i love reading this thread! it is so encouraging to know there are others struggling through this with loads of determination as well.
appletree

Postby Coach » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:01 pm

appletree wrote:i am gearing up to start studying for SD as a break after passing BS. only giving myself 6 weeks...so hopefully I can pull it off.

Only 6 weeks?
You'll be chomping at the bit to take it after less than 2 weeks of prep.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Quigaboo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Coach wrote:
appletree wrote:i am gearing up to start studying for SD as a break after passing BS. only giving myself 6 weeks...so hopefully I can pull it off.

Only 6 weeks?
You'll be chomping at the bit to take it after less than 2 weeks of prep.

SD is the easiest of all the exams IMO. I took this exam 1 week after passing SPD. Also there is nothing to Study, just vignettes.
Quigaboo

Postby appletree » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:35 pm

yes, so I hear. which is good b/c these 6 weeks include a family trip...and I never manage to study except on weekends, so its really 4 weekends, a few hours a weekend. Do I really have to find a 4 hour block of time in which to practice building layout? thats nearly impossible with 2 kids...?! Do you really need all 4 hours?
appletree

Postby Coach » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 pm

Most people who pass complete BL in less than 2.5 hours.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby appletree » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:19 am

Thanks Coach! i was looked on SD board for people's stories about passing and how much time it took but didnt find many. thanks! 2.5 hours i can find.
appletree

Postby jas5150 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:21 pm

I just wanted to say that you can do it. I passed all exams with a two year old and my wife was working full time, in school and pregnant (she even took her study cards to the hospital when she went into labor). Just tell yourself the more time you spend away from the family studying, the less likely you will have to go back and study again.
jas5150

Postby spiketwig » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:02 pm

I have a toddler and I just practiced the SD BL in chunks (and I passed the test so it seemed to work fine breaking it up). I definitely never ever had a 4 hr block of time to dedicate. It also definitely does not take 4 hours, I could do it in about 2. I assume the extra 2 hours are in case you totally f*** up your first attempt at a layout and have to start over...?
spiketwig

Postby appletree » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:45 am

reviving this thread as I am now gearing up for SS - my last exam! testing at the beg of Dec so lining up resources and figuring out my study path today. getting my head around the scope of the test, etc...now my kids are 6 and 4...and i just found out im expecting #3...so its now or never! my rolling clock has another year on it, but i need to finish before the end of 2017 for my own sanity.
appletree

Postby Kiedys.Zdam. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Congrats on the #3!!
Kiedys.Zdam.

Postby appletree » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:24 pm

I know this thread is pretty inactive right now...but for the ARE-testing parents who will find it at some point and read it for inspiration...I am finally DONE WITH THE ARE ...and if i could do it, so can you! in a nutshell:...

I didnt start testing until I was 35, and expecting kid #2, with a toddler. Variety of reasons why it took me so long to start, but those are largely irrelevant anyhow. I just finished, now pregnant with kid #3...and approaching 40, so it took me a full 5 years (I did get rolling clock extension for the kid who was born during the process....but with the transition to 5.0 happening this summer...did not really buy me extra time b/c I was fully into 4.0).
I spread out the exams (as you can tell) b/c otherwise it was too much for me and too much on my DH and the kids(s). But...I tried to take at least one exam a year to keep the momentum going. For me, testing in the winter turned out to be the magic bullet. As a fam, we seem to be a lot busier in the spring and summer...so I usually studied during Oct-Nov-Dec and tested in Jan or Feb. I took PPP immediately after CDS, so in the spring, and that worked....and I also took SD in the spring, b/c there was so little prep for that.
I basically only studied weekends. Some nights...but most nights not enough time. lots of studying on weekend nights when I could get started early, without the guilt b/c i'd been with the kids all day!

Along hte way I only had one fail/retake (BS) and I think that was the hardest of all the exams.

good luck and if anyone wants to discuss testing with little kids or needs encouragement, feel free to PM me.
appletree

Postby sk1grl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:34 am

Yeah Appletree! Congratulations!!

I am in the midst of trying to finish as well. Definitely finding BS to be the toughest exam so far. I just took it again yesterday. I'm also up against my rolling clock, life just got the best of getting in the way.

I lost a passed SPD last fall. I just retook it 2 weeks ago and passed. I literally only gave myself 2 weeks to study for it. So I was pretty excited I passed. If I fail BS again, I'll lose PPP to the rolling clock as well at the end of this month.

I ended up getting an extension after I lost SPD when I figured out that my mom is suffering with dementia last fall. I thought I could bang the 2 exams I had left last fall, but with a 3 year old, a full time job, taking on the full time care of my mother, and the other life things, I just couldn't get it together and flailed each time. I failed BS twice and SD twice before I realized I couldn't go it all. I am super bummed I had to retake SPD, but glad to take it in 4.0, because it's a known format. We'll see if I feel the same if I have to retake PPP?!!

So, depending on how I did yesterday I could be done or taking 2 more? *Fingers crossed*. *Sigh*.
But, I am just that much closer!!
sk1grl

Postby sk1grl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:38 am

Update on my testing;

I have finished! I finally passed BS!! (5th try but who is counting?!!) I have passed all my exams!! And some (SPD & PPP)which I passed twice due to losing them to the rolling clock.

I started my exams on 2/11/2011 with a pass on PPP. Then in 11/2011 another pass with SPD. Fast forward through renovating a house, losing jobs during a recession, failing several exams, watching the AREforum collapse, wandering the internet for countless hours searching for ARE advice, taking breaks to focus, getting a dream job, passing and failing more exams, having a baby, diagnosing my mother with dementia, moving her to assisted living. 18 exams later- yes- you read that right. Is that a record? I am finally done!

BS was by far the hardest exam for me, I think it was not only the depth and minutia of the material, but also the band width (lack of) in my brain. Between my 3 year old, taking care of my mother with dementia, my more than fulltime job, my husband, and other life events I just could not get it together to pass it. If you had looked at all the exams, I had passed each element at least once during the 4x. These past two months, I decided I would change my subconcious, I listened to a book, "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" By, Dr. Joseph Murphyat work one day, where he spoke of training your subconcious to accept the positive voice in your head. I repeated a positive mantra everyday when I woke up, when I drove to work, when I felt any doubt creep in. I refused to listen to the little voice that questioned whether I could do it or not. I went into my final two exams with a confidence I did not have. This made a huge difference.

I also used the videos Coach has made for the vignettes. As I had already taken and passed PPP several years ago, I felt that I didn't need to practice that vignette as much, but the refresher to see Coach go through it was so beneficial. I may have only practiced it once and felt fine about it when I finished it during the exam. In BS I used the video to help me establish a routine for tackling the problem. I used it this past month only a few days before again as a refresher, rather than taking precious time out of cramming for the MC section. It was well worth it. I highly recommend them.

I cannot even believe my journey through ARE exams is over. I have been holding my breath, putting other personal aspirations on hold, ignoring a lot of friends and family until I was finished. It's a really rewarding big sigh of relief. If only this knot in my back would go away!

I couldn't have done any of this without this forum. BIG THANK YOU! to Coach, Sparky83, and all the other examinees who spent time commenting and supporting me. I truly cannot thank you all enough!

Best of luck to all of those in the process.
sk1grl

Postby BabingtonB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:20 am

Hey all!

It's time for an update since it's been about 3.5 years since I first posted asking about how people do this.

Yesterday I took my first exam - 4.0 CDS (since I've been studying for it on and off for 6 years...). It has been a crazy road trying to get here. My 'baby' turns 3 today... It's amazing how time flies! I appreciate everyone's comments from when I asked your experiences way back when.

Here's how my life went. Had my 2nd kid, and then my sanity took a dive. I would get completely overwhelmed and would shut down, like a curtain drawn over my eyes, and could not function. All t his was going on while we were selling an old, and buying a new house. Work also got crazy - we moved offices at the same time I was moving residences. My husband started a new demanding job this past year. I was in no state to test with so much going on. We lost some people at my office, and in turn, I moved up to essentially a PM position. For the past year, I have been managing construction and design projects, clients, and contractors, and I was also the prominent contributor for winning 2 awards for my company (woohoo!). With all the experience I finally was able to gain, I felt comfortable/confident enough that I would be able to sit for an exam. I still hit some bumps when I first was committed (like helping out with work deadlines).

I also have 2 kids, and I'm mom, and my role vs my husbands’ role is that I'm more involved (probably because I both feel the need to be, and want to be, and their wants). When they're sick they want mommy, they want me to put them to bed, and though is stresses me out that I have so many responsibilities, it's okay.

I've learned to be kind to myself, and to try to relax a bit. Every time I thought about the ARE I would send myself overboard and would shut down because of all these things i needed to do. I can only keep so many balls in the air at the same time. I panicked a bit before this exam (but it's in my nature to), but I stuck it out and was relatively confident that I could at least apply my working knowledge to the exam. The ARE will be there for me when I'm ready. My goal is to get this done in the next 1.5/2 years, and not take a full 5 years to get through it.

Anyway, good luck to you other parents out there that are trying to do the same thing. Don't be too hard on yourself or burden yourself more than you need. This place is a great place for support, too! Let you know soon if I pass. Feel free to Ask me (almost) anything!

Good luck to you all!!!
BabingtonB

Postby BabingtonB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:26 am

Update on my testing!

My kids are now 5 & 8 (holy crap that puts how long I've been working towards licensure into perspective!). I've now taken 5 exams total - took PcM 2x - failed both, and PjM 2x - also failed both through 2019. Had a few setbacks with a couple surgeries, and then the pandemic hit and my kids have only just gone back to school part time for the first time in a year...!!!! I was so stressed out with having to work from home, and also help them learn and coordinate everyone's schedules, that the ARE's were just not a possibility. This year has been just chaos, at best!

I just took my first exam virtually at my office yesterday and failed that one too (PA exam). My goal is to just keep at it and keep studying now that my head is in a better place. It's been a little easier to build in studying, but it's usually between 9:30 and midnight (if I can stay up that late), after I put the kids to bed. I try to do a minimum of 1 hour each night. I'm guessing that I may have just needed slightly more time for this exam to pass. Hopefully next one will be better!
BabingtonB

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION