heating required formula ???

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

heating required formula ???

Postby snting » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi, everyone

can anyone explain the formula that this forumla??

Heat required = Btu/h x (24 hours) x (DD °F), where DD = degree days
temperature differential

thanks a lot
snting

Re: heating required formula ???

Postby Corkscrewed » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:14 pm

A degree day is the difference between the average temperature of a given day and 65°F, which can be added up throughout a season to get an idea of how far from the "norm" a location is. The 65°F baseline was a technically arbitary temperature agreed to a long time ago by the people who make these decisions for use in the industry.

In heating, the average temperature will be presumably less than 65°F, since it's cold. 65° is the baseline temperature, meaning you want to get the temperature back up to that amount. So you will have to use energy (heat is simply thermal energy) to raise the temperature. Btu/hr is a measure of energy rate needed to get the temperature back up to the baseline, and you multiply that by 24 hours to get the total BTU in a day, which is multiplied by the degree day of that particular day to figure out how much heat is needed that day. Then you add all the days up in a season to get the total amount needed for the season.

The formula basically gets you to the same place but uses the transitive property to aggregate the Degree Days all at once, and then multiply by the other variables to find out how much heat is required.
Corkscrewed

Postby snting » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:12 pm

thank you for the detail explanation. I found this formula from the Ncarb website, that they said might used in the exam.
http://www.ncarb.org/en/ARE/~/media/Fil ... ences.ashx

The part that i still dont understand is why Btu/h need to be divided by temperature differential?

thanks a lot for any comments
snting

Postby AJD » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:17 am

I am resurrecting a zombie thread here, but I have the same question as the original poster. Does anyone understand why the formula that NCARB provides (on the sheet of formulas available during the test) divides the btu's/hr by the difference in temperature? I am stumped.
AJD

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS