Arch Office Again

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Arch Office Again

Postby matt » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:12 pm

This is second try at this. I'm loosing a lot of time trying to space the lights correctly but I'm still within the hour allotted.

Is it better to have the light spreads overlap a little or not quite overlap?

I went with a strategy of putting diffusers on one side of room and returns on the other. Now I see a large area in the middle that doesn't have diffusers. Does this matter?

How close can the diffuser get to the wall? Return grill?

Any comments welcomed. Thanks for looking.

(Second Version is with light coverage)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt

Re: Arch Office Again

Postby Coach » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:32 pm

matt wrote:I'm loosing a lot of time trying to space the lights correctly

That's at least in part because you're wasting time with circles. You have a perfectly good grid to work with. Only use circles for accents.

For area lighting, not at all. Use the grid and space per lighting diagrams.

I went with a strategy of putting diffusers on one side of room and returns on the other. Now I see a large area in the middle that doesn't have diffusers. Does this matter?

That's fine if you do it right. Drafting is good, but conference not so much.

Not critical but shoot for 12" min. Good distribution is important.

Incorrect light spacing on file, AO, and conf.
4 or 5 accents is plenty. Move closer to wall and increase spacing. As shown probably ok though. I actually could argue that your solution is better because it's not as overlit as 4 or 5 are.
I would extend eastern duct run to approximately match west run to improve suite coverage.
Flex should go to middle of register.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby matt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:36 am

Coach wrote:
matt wrote:I'm loosing a lot of time trying to space the lights correctly

That's at least in part because you're wasting time with circles. You have a perfectly good grid to work with. Only use circles for accents.
I added in the circles after I finished to check.

For area lighting, not at all. Use the grid and space per lighting diagrams.
Just to be clear, it is ok for lights to overlap or underlap a little, Correct?

That's fine if you do it right. Drafting is good, but conference not so much.

Not critical but shoot for 12" min. Good distribution is important.

Incorrect light spacing on file, AO, and conf.

[color=#0040FF]Im not really sure what is wrong with the AO and file room. Neither dimension of the rooms are evenly divisible by 6 or 8.

4 or 5 accents is plenty. Move closer to wall and increase spacing. As shown probably ok though. I actually could argue that your solution is better because it's not as overlit as 4 or 5 are.
I would extend eastern duct run to approximately match west run to improve suite coverage.
Flex should go to middle of register.
[/color]

I'll post a fix shortly
matt

Postby matt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:32 am

I revised but I still don't have a sure fire way of spacing the lights. Dorf used the sketch circles but that gets confusing with there is overlapping so here is my strategy.

1. Determine which size fixture comes closest to covering the room dimensions most closely.
2. Draw grid and imagine light spacing according to lighting separation. If this works, then draw lights. If it doesn't work, then rotate grid and reassess.

If you have anything faster or better, do tell.

Thanks.
Matt

PS. I moved that diffuser in the conf. room south so the flexiduct line wasn't overlapping the other fixture. Is that overlap allowed or did I do the right thing by moving?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt

Postby JSLove » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:22 am

The spacing I see wrong in the areas that you use 2x4 fluorescents is that the spacing b/t fixtures along the 4’ side should be 6’ apart per the lighting chart. That’s 3 ceiling tile instead the two that you have. Too much overlap in those area for your current solution? Just my thoughts. :?:
JSLove

Postby matt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 am

I don't think so. See attached diagram. 50fc @ 3' above floor shows a 4' (2 clg tiles from long edge) between edge of fixtures. Unless there is something I am not seeing here. :shock:

I tried this again. Please review. I have to get this down
matt

Postby Sparky83 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:36 am

matt wrote:I don't think so. See attached diagram. 50fc @ 3' above floor shows a 4' (2 clg tiles from long edge) between edge of fixtures. Unless there is something I am not seeing here. :shock:

I tried this again. Please review. I have to get this down

Spacing between short ends is not the same as between long sides.
Last edited by Sparky83 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky83

Postby matt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 am

True, it looks like 2-1/2 ft. The grid is 2x4 ft so there would be a 6” overlap between light spreads on the long side
matt

Postby Sparky83 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:51 am

matt wrote:True, it looks like 2-1/2 ft. The grid is 2x4 ft so there would be a 6” overlap between light spreads on the long side

See the attachment
Sparky83

Postby matt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:24 am

I misread, tis 6’ between fixtures on ling side. Ill correct.

Thanks guys
matt

Re: Arch Office Again - Last One

Postby matt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Ok. Last one. Does this work?
matt

Postby JSLove » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 pm

Only thing I see is a possible issue with some of your accent lights falling directly on the ceiling grid. Easy fix by moving them a little more away from the wall which would cause them to move in toward the center a bit more and you can clear the grid.
JSLove

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS