Electrical One Line Diagrams

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Electrical One Line Diagrams

Postby emilys » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Does anyone have any quick tutorials or references to share on Electrical single line diagrams? I just took the NCARB study guide practice test and realized I don't know how to read those very well. Testing Monday.

Thanks in advance.
emilys

Re: Electrical One Line Diagrams

Postby k4dm0nky » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:33 am

k4dm0nky

Postby emilys » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:08 am

Thank you so much Monkey! Sending good passing vibes to you tomorrow. Let's do this! (FYI, this is my 6th one. BDCS is next and hopefully final. you?)
emilys

Postby k4dm0nky » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:11 am

This is my last exam I have left.

Thank you for the positive energy, and good luck on your last two!
k4dm0nky

Postby architect23 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:17 pm

I was following this thread to try and understand how to read single line diagrams, but is there a 'dummy's' guide anywhere out there that anyone has found on this? I'm having trouble with the NCARB sample question in reading an electrical distribution system, and honestly don't understand how they determined which section constituted the branch circuit!
architect23

Postby wowexam0 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 am

So the single line diagram distribution system question in the ncarb sample Mc question...
I do not remember seeing this in kaplan or ballast... googled for a good while, it seems single-line diagram is very common for HVAC systems and lighting systems.
And also found this link: https://energycodeace.com/site/custom/p ... rcuits.htm
So at least for this MC question, diagram is very similar to:
Example 8-4
Combined lighting panel with subfeed to other lighting panel(s).
A larger first lighting panel (e.g. 400 amps) could subfeed three 100-amp panels, or 6 60-amp panels, and serve local branch circuits, too.
Can be used for lighting, HVAC, plug loads, or any other group of load types.
With my absolute no experience in this subject, and based on the link above, I'm interpreting:
C-panel-1 subfeeding D-panel-2 with 3 other panels, and C-panel-2 is also feeding another panel that serves a local branch circuit (the first symbol in D: one without the little line connecting the 2 dots on each side).
I'm not for sure this is the correct interpretation, but that's the best guess I got.
wowexam0

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS