Pass-Second Time

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Pass-Second Time

Postby cluter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:59 am

I took Building Systems for the 2nd time last Thursday and found out this morning I passed. The last time I took it was in Aug 2015, so it’s been awhile. I basically had to start the studying process over. I’ve listed the study material I used below. I have two very young kids and work full time, so most of my time studying was for an hour on weeknights and a couple of hours on weekends while the kids nap. (Not easy.)

NALSA-These are a must for me, and I study these first. They give a good general overview of everything.
Ballast-Read the chapters that applied and made flash cards.
Ballast Q&A-iIf I can make higher than 70% on this by the end of my studying I usually do well on the test. (I make sure to review the explanations for the ones I missed and take notes.)
Kaplan Q&A-These questions seem similar in style to actual test questions. (Ballast is much more specific.) I like these, because they made me realize I needed to focus on certain words in the questions.
MEEB-I did not read, but I scanned and printed a lot of diagrams from the book to study. This was super helpful and probably one of the main reasons I passed.
Building Codes Illustrated-Used some but mainly studied the Building Regulations chapter in Ballast.

I did not use Amber this time. I believe I spent too much time on it for my last test and it didn’t get specific enough for me.

I practiced the vignette one time. I feel these are the easiest part of the test, because all you have to do are follow the rules. When I am testing, I right down the program first on paper (really quick) and then start drawing. This way I can go through the program at the end and mark through everything I’ve completed. It also saves me time from having to go back and forth between the drawing and program.

I hope this helps. Good luck to everyone! I’m off to take Structures now!
cluter

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS