Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Cable tray

Postby alenb » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:11 pm

What is a disadvantage of cable tray?

A- it's is free-air rated
B- installation and maintenance is costly
C- it is not accessible easily
D- it does not work for high wattage

Why is the answer C ( it's not accessible easily) since this is a open tray system and you can access it and add or remove lines easily, the whole point is to be flexible and accessible. This is what I've used at my work - lab project, the owner loved the system.
Comments???
alenb

Re: Cable tray

Postby raaz227 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:37 pm

alenb wrote:What is a disadvantage of cable tray?

A- it's is free-air rated
B- installation and maintenance is costly
C- it is not accessible easily
D- it does not work for high wattage

Why is the answer C ( it's not accessible easily) since this is a open tray system and you can access it and add or remove lines easily, the whole point is to be flexible and accessible. This is what I've used at my work - lab project, the owner loved the system.
Comments???

Could be that these are typically mounted at ceiling level and that’s considered not easily accessible.
raaz227

Re: Cable tray

Postby ccolley12 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:52 am

I feel your frustration on this one... In general, cable tray is used for it's ease of adding more cables...

When I come across questions where all the answers seem to be incorrect, you have to look at the answers more carefully and find the one that is the least incorrect. In this case, A and D are obviously wrong as they don't make sense. So, you are left with B and C. In general the alternate to cable tray is conduit... and in comparing the two, cable tray is cheaper to install and easier to maintain than a series of conduits. So, while C still seems incorrect, I would say it is the least incorrect of the answers given.

It is these types of stupid, poorly worded questions that cause me to curse NCARB and question the competence of those writing the MC questions.
ccolley12

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS